• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC RL01/RL02 disk emulator with PCB board

PDP11GY

Experienced Member
Hi all,
a short announcement: My RL01 / RL02 disk emulator is now available with a PCB board
and support for the MAX10/DE10-Lite, BeMicro CV, DE0-Nano and DE1 board. A picture and
a description in the appendix. All further information on my homepage, chapter 1.1B
with all necessary downloads, www.pdp11gy.com
( Sorry, can't upload the readme - file, only the overview picture )

Attachments

• alle.jpg
    alle.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 11
What is the cost of these assembled and tested? I couldn't easily find that information on the web page.

Reinhard,

Absolutely beautiful work! The progress through the years is amazing. This is a huge leap over the last version (which I still use) which only supported one emulated drive at a time. I will need to make sure I order a DE-10 lite before they disappear. Like Jack, I too will want to build one or two of these. If there is a run of boards made, let me know. I should be able to collect the rest of the parts and assemble myself.

It doesn't look bad to wire-wrap either. Just two 74LVC245 and 26LS31 and 32, which are all available in full size through hole dips.

Thank you for posting this fine work!

Lou

Lou, Thank you very much for your feedback.
Some words on the availability of the PCB board.
I and the computer-museum in Munich can not manufacture, assemble and sell the PCB board for now.
The PCB boards were ordered and manufactured in China, 10 pieces cost about 60 dollars.
This is very cheap ( 2 layer only ) and I can send the URL if necessary. The soldering was made by hand.
I'm already "too old" and do not have the right soldering tools, so a friend helped me.
Perhaps a collective order for USA is possible?
I will speak with the people from the Computer-Museum and will update you as soon as possible.

Reinhard

Some words on the availability of the PCB board.
The PCB boards were ordered and manufactured in China, 10 pieces cost about 60 dollars.
This is very cheap ( 2 layer only ) and I can send the URL if necessary.

The URL would be great Reinhard, thank you. I'd be willing to honcho an order if the US in no one else feels even more inclined :->.

And, as everyone else has already noted _GREAT_JOB_. We are all much obliged :->.

paul

Hello All,
First, nice work Reinhard. I wouldn't mind producing a few assembled boards here in the US. I'd be willing to kit the parts, including PCB, or assemble the board for others not comfortable with SMT fab. I'm not looking to make any money so I'll do it for the cost of the parts and shipping, etc. but would like to do it as one order of 10 pieces or so if there's interest. Let us know if the Computer Museum would be agreeable.

Also, FYI Mouser currently has the DE-10 Lite (PN P0466-EDU) for $62.50 USD. That's cheaper that the raw 10M50DAF484C7G FPGA that it uses!
-Ken

Folks,

Whoever has a run of boards etched and drilled, count me in for two also. I would like to assemble mine myself though.

I also saw that DE-10 lite at Mouser with the -EDU suffix. Is that one where you have to show proof of being a college or technical school student to get one at that price? I am a few years past that unfortunately, but I do like the price.

Lou

Folks,

Whoever has a run of boards etched and drilled, count me in for two also. I would like to assemble mine myself though.

I also saw that DE-10 lite at Mouser with the -EDU suffix. Is that one where you have to show proof of being a college or technical school student to get one at that price? I am a few years past that unfortunately, but I do like the price.

Lou

The non-EDU DE10-Lite board is $92.75 ( http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...qBwn8WqcFUoBr6H0DPHbm9BOhTeKkNCTaAH7Z5efbsA== ) at Mouser or $85 direct from Terasic (however Terasic shipping to the US is VERY pricey, so most likely cost+tax+shipping will be lower at Mouser, for US folks at least).

I didn't realize that Terasic sold an educational-only version of the DE10-Lite. I suppose getting sternly educated in old computer stuff here on vcfed.org doesn't count :-(

Let's see what interest we have so far:
Len - Qty 2
Jack - Qty 2
Lou - Qty 2 (kits)
Ken - Qty 2

That's a total of 8 without using a floating point co-processor. We're on the way to making it feasible to make a few here if Reinhard can provide the needed files and approvals.

-Ken

I didn't realize that Terasic sold an educational-only version of the DE10-Lite. I suppose getting sternly educated in old computer stuff here on vcfed.org doesn't count :-(

Let's see what interest we have so far:
Len - Qty 2
Jack - Qty 2
Lou - Qty 2 (kits)
Ken - Qty 2

That's a total of 8 without using a floating point co-processor. We're on the way to making it feasible to make a few here if Reinhard can provide the needed files and approvals.

-Ken

Note that I indicated an interest in a couple of PCBs and offered to do a group order. But if everyone has moved on to full kits (where's the fun in that :->) or pre-assembled, then perhaps I'll just have to make do for myself then.

Today and tomorrow is a holiday in Dutschland. On Tuesday I will get the address of
the China PCB board manufacturer we used and also our order number and customer
reference no. So, it should be very easy to order more PCB boards.
A note about the terminator resistor networks: 100 Ohm networks are used because
the 93 ohm does not exist. However, it works perfectly.

Ken,

Sorry if my earlier post of interest in two boards was confusing at all, but I'm only interested in the boards and would source my own parts. When next you revise the list, it's just boards for me. Thanks!

Lou

All,
Bare boards, kits or fully assembled are all fine with me. The determining factor would, obviously be the cost of the boards with shipping at the quantity that we order. I suggest that, unless there's some hurry, we give a few weeks for others to investigate their needs and add to the order via this Post. Here's the order update:
Jack - Qty 2 (or 3 if needed) - Boards Only
Len - Qty 2 - Boards Only
Lou - Qty 2 - Boards Only
Ken - Qty 2 - Kits (as I have to order parts anyway)

As soon as we hear back from Reinhard, I'll contact the referenced PCB house and have them quote 10 (minimum) to 20 boards (just an estimate). Shipping from me to you for these small boards would be cheap via USPS 1st Class mail.
-Ken

FYI I used these guys to do my RX02 emulator PCB (it was 4 layer I did in ENIG). Very inexpensive for small proto and production runs.

Link: http://dangerousprototypes.com/store/pcbs

For a 10x10cm 2 layer board the cost for HASL is only $2 per board in quantity of 10 guaranteed. Protopack of 10+/- (I got 11 in my orders) is even less.

Quality was very good. I used ENIG vs HASL for finish (a bit more expensive). All 11 boards I received were 100% functional. Highly recommended

Last edited:
Thanks AK6DN, I'll personally keep them in mind for future board orders. I'm working on a couple now, including a dual-height Qbus format which will certainly be 4-layers. Any interest on your part for one of these boards?
-Ken

Back