Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

PDP-8/L restoration - PSU problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDP-8/L restoration - PSU problems.

I have been looking at restoring one of our PDP-8/L machines. A while ago I brought up the PSU on the bench. Cleaned it and reformed the big capacitors. One of the rectifier bridges had been stolen so it had to be replaced. Then I used a variac and a dummy load. When raising the input volatge with the variac I was surprised to see that as the input voltage was rising across the regulator the output increased above 5V. It actually reached 5.7 volt until it started regulating down to 5V. I was a bit confused since although TTL usually has a absolute maximum around 7V it is probably not so good that there is a spike at turn on. There were some reports that PDP-8/L have had problems with their power supplies in the past.

I did find found the PSU schematics, but the regulator board was a black box.

No schematics was found on the 54-08047 so I traced it out myself and simulated in CircuitLab. Directly from reading the schematic though it is evident that the left transistor half of the matched pair need above 5.7V to start conducting at all. It will then bias Q2 which will then eat up the base current from Q3. Is this really a good design?

There is a crowbar circuit but since it is using the same zener as the regulator itself it will trip above 6.3 V or so (the simulation is consistent with actual measurements). A bit to much for my taste at least. I have seen rumors that there are no crowbar in a PDP-8/L but there is one, indeed.

I didn't have the proper SPICE parameters but used more standard PNP and NPN models. Anyhow there were the same type of spike shown.

My plan is to modify the regulator board so that it regulates better. I did a simulation in CircuitLab where I replaced the 5.1V zener with a 3.9V zener. A voltage divider was inserted on the right hand side of the matched pair. From the simulation it looked much better. There are no spike when the input voltage is ramped up and the crowbar now trips at somewhere around 5.3V.

Next step is to test this in the real circuit to see if works equally well.
    www.datormuseum.se

What was the nature of your dummy load?
    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

That looks very similar to the behavior of the H-724 power supply in a PDP-12.

Plot.jpg
      Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
      http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
        What was the nature of your dummy load?
        Both the real dummy load and the simulated was a pure resistor.

I suspect the actual load to be almost only resistive. But note that this is a DC sweep simulation. Not a time or frequency domain simulation.
        www.datormuseum.se

Comment

Originally posted by m_thompson View Post
          That looks very similar to the behavior of the H-724 power supply in a PDP-12.
          I looked at the schematics for the G824 module. It looks very similar, indeed. I can't see anything of the current limit and fold back that are present in the PDP-8/L though. It was just a quick glance so I can be wrong.
          www.datormuseum.se

Comment

I would be real careful with playing around with the threshold of the crow bar, know what you’re saying about trying to keep from hitting the five volt bus too hard but I always tend to think sometimes people get too worked up about keeping the five volt bus at exactly five volts. A little bit over five volts makes up for the losses in the distribution and connectors so by the time you get onto a circuit card you may not have five volts any more. When crow bars fire they have a bad habit of sometimes shorting the SCR and have been known to also damage the pass transistors so you don’t want it going off any more then necessary, and in the event of a catastrophic failure in the regulator that usually turns out to be a shorted pass transistor the full unregulated voltage is dumped on the output so you would be looking at something well above five volts.
            Once the crow bar fires its intended to blow F3 and with that it will also remove the gate voltage from the SCR so it should be ok but I have had too many crow bars that once fired the SCR shorts but that’s just me, so it’s just my opinion and not to take away from what you’re doing but I would not mess with the threshold of the crow bar.

Comment

@Qbus: Maybe you are right. In my opinion 6.4V crowbar triggering is far to high (the simulation give the same result as the actual circuit tested with a bench supply). In other supplies I worked with the crowbar trigger around 5.5V which I think is more reasonable. With the design of this PSU were there are a spike in the 5V so that it reaches 5.7V when the supply capacitor is charging at startup they just added a diode forward drop to make it not false trigger. Thus making the crowbar trip around 6.4V...

By adjusting down to a 3.9V or 4.3V zener I expect crowbar to trigger at 5.4V or 5.8V. I'll give it a try but I keep in mind what you said about short circuit SCRs. In this case they have a 0.1ohm in series with the resistor limiting the current a bit. The 2N4441 is rated at 80A surge current which is exactly what you get with 8V and 0.1ohm...
              www.datormuseum.se

Comment

Maybe it’s just my paranoia but I have had nothing but misery with SCR being every time they somehow get the gate turned on it manages to short out the device if there is nothing on the cathode. Like a three legged self-destruction device!

Comment

I noticed that there are at least one more version of the regulator board. I have reverse engineered the one in my 8/L #905 schematics here and pictures in a zip file.

I wander if the crowbar is designed for tripping at 6,3V to 6,5V to avoid tripping if the 5V rail reaches 5,7V at startup. Looking at the schematics it looks right that is should trip at this voltage.

Comment

The absolute max supply voltage for the Vcc bus on TTL is 7.0 Volts. It is recommended that it operated between 4.75 and 5.25 Volts.

Comment

Originally posted by Qbus View Post
                      Maybe it’s just my paranoia but I have had nothing but misery with SCR being every time they somehow get the gate turned on it manages to short out the device if there is nothing on the cathode. Like a three legged self-destruction device!
                      I happily replace SCRs every time the crowbar trips if it saves tens or hundreds of TTLs or other components.
                      www.datormuseum.se

Comment

Originally posted by anders_bzn View Post
                        I noticed that there are at least one more version of the regulator board. I have reverse engineered the one in my 8/L #905
                        very strange. not a DEC PCB part number and almost no US manufactured components.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_m View Post
                          The absolute max supply voltage for the Vcc bus on TTL is 7.0 Volts. It is recommended that it operated between 4.75 and 5.25 Volts.
                          I am aware of the abs max rating. My thinking is that it might be a bad idea to expose 50 year old TTL chips to voltages at 5.7V at above which is what the PSU will output momentarily at startup. Or maybe it is a quick way to weed out marginal chips?
                          www.datormuseum.se

Comment

I recall that a friend who worked as a DEC CE used to grumble about "transistor-protected fuses".
                            Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Question: what’s more stressful? Operating vintage electronics at lower then originally rated voltages, at rated voltage or slightly higher voltages? On very old radios with tubes I tend to run them around 10% below the original line voltage keeping in mind that the modern line voltage is slightly higher then what was around at the time of their manufacture and want to try to extend tube life. Others run sets at way reduced voltages to keep from stressing the sets. But a vintage computer is something from maybe the late sixties or early seventies when higher line voltages were common so I run all the vintage computer stuff at regular line voltage with the idea of reduced voltage may produce more stress on power supplies then the design voltage. Something about reduced voltage will require more current to accomplish the same power and its current that’s where the real work occurs in both power supplies and distribution. It may be antidotal but I have noticed that most damage occurs when turning on systems and would speculate that perhaps this occurs because of reduced voltage and increased current for a short period of time and perhaps that’s what pushes devices into failure? Or maybe it’s just the insulation of the gates that fail due to the application of voltage at startup? The real question is what pushes gates into failure upon startup?
                              Attached is a picture of my 1938 Navy HRO receiver, at almost eighty years old it’s still working great. My two PDP-11 systems are half that age and would like to think that they may be around just as long.

38hro.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X