Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Rainbow 100 Disk Image Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainbow 100 Disk Image Files

Does anyone know where I can download disk image files for any software for the Rainbow 100 to be used in the MAME emulator? I already have the ROMs and disk images of CP/M and MS-DOS. I just need some programs/games to run.

I assume you have seen Rainbow 100 Files? It's the largest archive I'm aware of.

http://www.classiccmp.org/rainbow/files.html
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Comment

Originally posted by NeXT View Post
      I assume you have seen Rainbow 100 Files? It's the largest archive I'm aware of.

No. I was unaware of this site. Thank you so much. It looks like I have a lot of things to try out.

Comment

No, I have not heard of this site. Thank you so much. I checked it out and there is a lot of great stuff for the Rainbow 100 there, but it is not in the format I need. I need it in Rainbow 100 disk image format, which has an extension of .td0. Any idea how I can do that?

Comment

You may have discovered this by now, but that is most likely the teledisk format. I haven't messed with it in something like 15 years as data transfer has gotten a lot faster since the days of *.td0 files, but I did a small writeup and conversion program back then see
          http://www.willsworks.net/file-format/teledisk
          others have done similar things. As mentioned in that document I tend to use John Wilsons putr program which should work directly with the files in the archive you were directed to. I have a Rainbow, but its been a while since I booted it. Luck

Comment

Originally posted by willyk View Post
            You may have discovered this by now, but that is most likely the teledisk format. I haven't messed with it in something like 15 years as data transfer has gotten a lot faster since the days of *.td0 files, but I did a small writeup and conversion program back then see
            http://www.willsworks.net/file-format/teledisk
            others have done similar things. As mentioned in that document I tend to use John Wilsons putr program which should work directly with the files in the archive you were directed to. I have a Rainbow, but its been a while since I booted it. Luck
            Thank you very much.

Comment

m7hacke,
              If you have a DOS Box you can use 22DISK to access the Files directly from Floppy.
              If you don't have a DOS Box, then cpmtools, or cpmtools built with libdsk can be
              used to access the files on the Image.

cpmtools & libdsk Definitions for Rainbow that I've conjured up:

#cpmtools
              # DEC2 DEC Rainbow - SSDD 96 tpi 5.25" - 512 x 10
              diskdef dec2
              seclen 512
              tracks 80
              sectrk 10
              blocksize 2048
              maxdir 128
              skew 2
              boottrk 2
              os 2.2
              end

# libdsk data below
              [dec2]
              description = DEC2 DEC Rainbow - SSDD 96 tpi 5.25" - 512 x 10
              cylinders = 80
              heads = 1
              secsize = 512
              sectors = 10
              secbase = 1
              datarate = DD

# DEC3 DEC VT-180 - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" - 512 x 9
              diskdef dec3
              seclen 512
              tracks 40
              sectrk 9
              blocksize 1024
              maxdir 64
              skew 2
              boottrk 2
              os 2.2
              end

# libdsk data below
              [dec3]
              description = DEC3 DEC VT-180 - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" - 512 x 9
              cylinders = 40
              heads = 1
              secsize = 512
              sectors = 9
              secbase = 1
              datarate = DD

You might find some errors because not all definitions have been 100% tested.

I download all the .TD0, .IMD, and .IMG files I can find.

Then do the following from within DOSBox.

Copy TD02IMD.*, IMDU.*, IMDV.*, and IMDA.* to ~/path/to/your/files/type/td0/

From within a Linux Terminal run DOSBox.

$dosbox
              $mount c ~/path/to/your/files/type/td0/
              $C:

$td02imd cpmv21.td0 > cpmv21.txt

TD 1.5 5.25-96 LD MFM S-step, 1 sides 13/05/1993 15:50:26
              Rainbow CP/M-86/80
              V 2.1 System Disk
              80 tracks, 800 sectors converted.

##Still in a Terminal.....

$imdu cpmv21.imd cpmv21.raw /B /E /D >> cpmv21.txt
              $Z:
              $mount -u c
              $exit

IMageDisk Utility 1.18 / Mar 07 2012
              IMD TD 1.5 5.25-96 LD MFM S-step, 1 sides 13/05/1993 15:50:26

Rainbow CP/M-86/80

V 2.1 System Disk

Assuming 1:1 for Binary output
              0/0 250 kbps DD 10x512
              1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
              D D D D D D D D D D
              1/0 D D D D D D1A D D D D
              2/0 D DE5 D DE5 D DE5 DE5 D DE5 D
              3/0 D D D D D D D D D D
              4/0 D D D D D D D D D D
              74/0 D D D D D D00 D D00 D D00
              75/0 D00 D D D D D D D D D
              76/0 D D D D D DE5 D D D D
              77/0 D D D D D D D D D D
              78/0 D D D DE5 D DE5 D D D D
              79/0 DE5 D DE5 D D D D D D D
              80 tracks(80/0), 800 sectors (74 Compressed)

$cpmls -f dec2 -D cpmv21.raw

Name Bytes Recs Attr update create
              ------------ ------ ------ ---- ----------------- -----------------
              ASM .COM 8K 64 S
              ASM86 .CMD 26K 205 S
              BACKUP .CMD 68K 539
              COPY .COM 4K 27 S
              CPM .SYS 24K 185 S
              DATE .CMD 10K 69
              DDT .COM 6K 38 S
              DDT86 .CMD 14K 109 S
              DEMO .DOC 2K 1
              DISKCOPY.COM 4K 27
              DUMP .COM 2K 5 S
              ED .CMD 10K 72 S
              FORMAT .COM 4K 23
              GENCMD .CMD 6K 43 S
              HELP .CMD 10K 74
              HELP .HLP 30K 240 S
              LDCOPY .CMD 28K 223 S
              LMCMD .CMD 6K 40 S
              LOAD .COM 2K 14 S
              MAINT .CMD 28K 222
              MDRIVE .CMD 2K 12
              PIP .CMD 8K 59
              POLYPAT .CMD 10K 65 S
              PRACTICE.TXT 2K 1
              RED .CMD 2K 6
              RED .OVL 22K 174 S
              RED1 .OVL 8K 59 S
              REDHELP .FIL 10K 70 S
              SAVE .CMD 2K 6 S
              STAT .CMD 10K 73
              SUBMIT .CMD 4K 31
              SYSCOPY .SUB 2K 6
              Z80CNF .SYS 8K 55 S
              33 Files occupying 382K, 4K Free.

$cpmcp -f dec2 cpmv21.raw 0*.txt /home/larry/IMD-118/rainbow100

practice.txt contains:

This is a test:

Today you will practice
              using all of the RED commands until
              you have them all mastered.

Larry
              Last edited by ldkraemer; April 13, 2018, 09:42 AM. Reason: updated

Comment

Thank you, ldkraemer.

Comment

Some stuff can be foubd here:

http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...ges/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Schroeder View Post
                    Thank you.

Comment

Bit of a thread resurrection but did this archive move to a different address or, does anyone have a link to Rainbow software ?

Just acquired a nice Rainbow 100 with CP/M 86 original disk boxes, user stuff and manuals. Its going to spend a lot of its time as a replacement for my fading VT420, but I do like to amass everything I can get when I have a new machine.
                      Current fleet
                      TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - Micro PDP 11/73 - Rainbow PC100A - MicroVax II - MicroVAX 3100, 3300, VAX 4000 VLC & 4000 Model 96 - AlphaStation 225 Apricot PC - Apple Performa 6200 - Apple Mac IIcx - Osborne 1 - ACT Sirius 1

Comment

Try here:
                        http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...ges/index.html
                        http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...bow/index.html
                        http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...bow/index.html
                        http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...dec/index.html

If you need help send me a PM.

Larry

Comment

ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/rainbow might be interesting for you.

Comment

Thanks
                            Current fleet
                            TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - Micro PDP 11/73 - Rainbow PC100A - MicroVax II - MicroVAX 3100, 3300, VAX 4000 VLC & 4000 Model 96 - AlphaStation 225 Apricot PC - Apple Performa 6200 - Apple Mac IIcx - Osborne 1 - ACT Sirius 1

Comment

https://www.os2site.com/sw/DEC/rainbow/index.html

but the os2site is only for OS/2 OS - other may need a password.

So you may use this site.

http://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/...dec/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X