• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP-9 at the RICM

m_thompson

Veteran Member
Tomorrow the RICM is moving the Lab to new+ space that is about twice the current size. That means that we can haul some more interesting items out of the warehouse and into the Lab. First on the list is the PDP-9 and the cabinet with the TC59 mag tape controller, and the TU20 7-track tape drive. Charles Lasner donated a TC02 DECtape controller, and we can borrow a very early design TU55 from the PDP-8/I.

The last time we ran the PDP-9 it would run the built in self test from microcode, so we know that lots of the processor is functional. It would also load a paper tape diag, which is also done from microcode. When we tried the memory checkerboard it went off into space. We can read/write memory, but doing that from the console doesn't mean it will work when the processor is running. Our plan is to try some very simple instructions to make sure that the processor can actually decode and execute instructions. If that works, we could try some more complex instructions like ISZ and JMP. If it is still working then we could try running the instruction tests from paper tape.

Once the processor is working again, we will connect the TC02 to the I/O bus and see how much of that works. We can repair and test the ancient TU55 on the PDP-8/I before we move it to the PDP-9 so we don't make debugging even more complex. If we can get the TC02/TU55 working we should be able to get a DECtape based OS running. That would be very cool.

The processor manual says that it has four data channels for devices like DECtape and magnetic tape., so it looks like we can connect both the TC02 and the TC59 without having a DM09, like you would need in a PDP-8. I wonder if we could hack the OS and run serialdisk?

We also need to rewind the sensor coil in the PC04 paper tape punch so we can get that working.

Congratulations to the new space! Much easier to work with it when it is in a heated space.

It will be very interesting to follow your work on the PDP-9. But it did work quite well at some point, didn't it? I remeber some video clip that it read from mag tape.
My experience with our PDP-9 is that it also was breaking down quite often. This was 20 years + back. I remeber that I replaced the same transistor on a certain card a number of times. Never got to the root cause. It is a quite complex machine. The status back then was that the CPU was running ok, but I never managed th TC02 to do more than wind the tape.

I really should start working on it. But the PDP-8 core memory has higher priority. And since it is located 100 km away I can only work a bit from time to time. Maybe we could convince Anders to start with his machine. It at least sits in his garage. And now he finshed the Dectape dumping project, so it is time for another project, right Anders?

To have two peripherals I expect you daisy chain that clumsy IO cables. Some kind of coaxial cables in it if I remember correctly. Do you have cables for connectong two devices?

Sounds interesting, look forward to update on the PDP-9. What size space do you currently have and how big is the new space? Look forward to some pictures!!!:D

Sounds interesting, look forward to update on the PDP-9. What size space do you currently have and how big is the new space? Look forward to some pictures!!!:D

The original lab space was about 800 sq/ft, and the new space is about 2x the original space. It looks like complete chaos right now after the move, so it will take a few weeks to get back to normal. We also have 5,000 sq/ft of warehouse space that looks like a scene out of Indiana Jones.

But it did work quite well at some point, didn't it? I remember some video clip that it read from mag tape.

We did have it running for a long time, but I don't think that the warehouse environment helps the reliability.

My experience with our PDP-9 is that it also was breaking down quite often. This was 20 years + back. I remember that I replaced the same transistor on a certain card a number of times. Never got to the root cause. It is a quite complex machine. The status back then was that the CPU was running ok, but I never managed the TC02 to do more than wind the tape.

The PDP-8/I and the PDP-12 have been very reliable after the move to the Lab space. Hopefully the PDP-9 will like the new space. The people at ACONIT had one of their PDP-9s running from DECtape for quite a while, but it didn't survive the move to their new space.

The PDP-8/I has a TC01, so we can use that to test most of the FlipChips from the TC02. Once we fix the CPU I think that we can get the TC02 to work.

To have two peripherals I expect you daisy chain that clumsy IO cables. Some kind of coaxial cables in it if I remember correctly. Do you have cables for connecting two devices?

We don't have any of the special PDP-9 I/O cables. We used 8x PDP-8 COAX cables to connect the TC59, and just received some more PDP-8 COAX I/O cables to connect the TC02. I think that we could use PDP-10 I/O cables in place of the PDP-9 I/O cables.

Cool looks like its coming together!!! What else do you have at the museum?

Cool you have some Cray systems, are they functional units?

Three of the Crays were functional when they were donated, but have not been powered up because of lack of a suitable power source. The SV1 was part of a 5 system super cluster, and we received 2 of the 5 SV1s. We likely have enough parts to get it running, but again, not enough power.

That stinks that you don't have the power for them. What do they need for power, 3 Phase?

I like the way someon’s disconnected the 3-phase with an axe or some such. Very professional.

Well, congratulations to the new facilities. Fun to hear that you will start to work at the PDP-9 again!!!

Maybe we could convince Anders to start with his machine. It at least sits in his garage. And now he finshed the Dectape dumping project, so it is time for another project, right Anders?
Well, pretty soon. "Someone" has given me a new PDP-8 project to finish first, I should get the RK8E and the RK05 drive going.

MattisLind said:
To have two peripherals I expect you daisy chain that clumsy IO cables. Some kind of coaxial cables in it if I remember correctly. Do you have cables for connectong two devices?
I'll need to take a look at yours, I think mine is missing too. So I need to come up with a solution here.

Vince has already done the I/O cables, both "original" style and an updated version using ethernet cable to avoid crosstalk.

Regardless, my vote (if I get one) is that Anders finish his PDP-8 projects first!

The little Crays can run off a 220VAC single phase circuit. The big Crays need a lot more power. These are the power connectors for the T3E.
Russell-Stoll. Looks like 60A, but the "cheap", non-watertight ones. Not everything that comes with those plugs actually needs 60A 3-phase - those connectors were very common in IBM computer rooms, and sometimes when the IBM gear left, other stuff came in where it was advantageous to plug into the existing underfloor power. As an example, the VAX 8650 has a 60A R-S power cord, but is perfectly happy with an adapter that turns into an L21-30 (30A, same as what the VAX-11/780 uses). I ran a pair of 8650's that way at St. Potato's from then day they arrived on-site to when they were decommissioned many years later.

Back