• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Macro-11 for linux won't output to standard out

Nigel Johnson

I'm trying to understand the on-board diagnostics for an 11/93, reverse-engineering the binary by hand-coding and assembling using macro-11 for linux (I know that is inefficient but I am also using it to re-learn pdp11 assembler, which I haven't touched in 40 years!)

Compiling with macro--11 works great, but one annoyance is that it will not list to the console. The help file says -l - should do it, I have tried it in quotes and preceded with a backslash but no go.

Anybody come across this before and found a solution?
cheers,
Nigel

I'm trying to understand the on-board diagnostics for an 11/93, reverse-engineering the binary by hand-coding and assembling using macro-11 for linux (I know that is inefficient but I am also using it to re-learn pdp11 assembler, which I haven't touched in 40 years!)

Compiling with macro--11 works great, but one annoyance is that it will not list to the console. The help file says -l - should do it, I have tried it in quotes and preceded with a backslash but no go.

Anybody come across this before and found a solution?
cheers,
Nigel

Dunno, works for me.

Code:
local[509] macro11 tu58.mac -rt11 -d md -d me -e bex -yus -o tu58.obj -l -
       1                                .title  TU58 tester
       3                                ; (C) 2016 Donald North. All rights reserved.
       5                                .include "mac/stddef.mac"
       1                                ;================================================================================
       2                                ; stddef.mac - standard definitions
       3                                ; (C) 2009 Donald North. All rights reserved.
       4                                ;================================================================================
       5                                .macro  align   arg1
      16                                ;================================================================================
      17                                .macro  savreg  arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4 arg5 arg6 arg7 arg8
      28                                ;================================================================================

Using macro11 from here: https://github.com/Rhialto/macro11
Compiled on cygwin for windows using gcc. Both 32b and 64b compiled versions work the same. Maybe you are using a real old version?

Dunno, works for me.

Code:
local[509] macro11 tu58.mac -rt11 -d md -d me -e bex -yus -o tu58.obj -l -
       1                                .title  TU58 tester
       3                                ; (C) 2016 Donald North. All rights reserved.
       5                                .include "mac/stddef.mac"
       1                                ;================================================================================
       2                                ; stddef.mac - standard definitions
       3                                ; (C) 2009 Donald North. All rights reserved.
       4                                ;================================================================================
       5                                .macro  align   arg1
      16                                ;================================================================================
      17                                .macro  savreg  arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4 arg5 arg6 arg7 arg8
      28                                ;================================================================================

Using macro11 from here: https://github.com/Rhialto/macro11
Compiled on cygwin for windows using gcc. Both 32b and 64b compiled versions work the same. Maybe you are using a real old version?

Mine is from here: https://github.com/shattered/macro11

and says it is V 0.3.

macro11/macro11 -v
macro11 - portable MACRO11 assembler for DEC PDP-11
Version 0.3 (April 21, 2009)
Copyright 2001 Richard Krehbiel,
modified 2009 by Joerg Hoppe.

What version is yours?]

Yikes, your version was last modified in 2009.

Mine says this:

Code:
DEC[502] macro11 -v
  Version 0.7wip (macro11-v0.6-19-gb100021
        Olaf Seibert <rhialto@falu.nl> Sun, 14 Mar 2021 20:27:56 +0100)
  modified 2009 by Joerg Hoppe,
  modified 2015-2017,2020 by Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert.
DEC[503]

GIT says it is 215 commits ahead of shattered/macro11. That is a LOT of updates...
I would suggest you download/pull the version I referenced in my last post.

Mine says this:

Code:
DEC[502] macro11 -v
DEC[503]

GIT says it is 215 commits ahead of shattered/macro11. That is a LOT of updates...

Yes, thanks. I did that and it solves the problem. New version gives me odd address errors on all my branches though, even though they assemble with the exact correct code as read from the prom! So the beat goes on!

Yes, thanks. I did that and it solves the problem. New version gives me odd address errors on all my branches though, even though they assemble with the exact correct code as read from the prom! So the beat goes on!

So do you mean 'odd address' errors, or odd 'address errors'?

It should not be possible for a PDP-11 branch instruction to target an odd address given the way the offset is used to generate the result.

Can you show an example?

Mine says this:

Code:
DEC[502] macro11 -v
DEC[503]

A slight correction ... the macro11 version in https://github.com/shattered/macro11 last commit was in 2015 (appears version info in header was not routinely updated).
In any event, that github repository has been frozen / marked read-only and is no longer being updated.

Back