• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple II+ garbage on screen, maybe missing roms ?.

soviet9922

Veteran Member
Hi guys, got an apple II+ recently in not so bad shape.

After doing the basics (removing all ics cleaning sockets and legs on all ics on the board) checked that everthing was in place.
Someone have been in here because one of the rams was missing and some other rams where so brittle that the pins fall of from them.
Replaced this 4116 chips for new ones.

Now using a tested good power supply from my platinum, power it up and see this display of static garbage on screen.

What is see is they are only 2 roms on the motherboard, this is ok ?, all sockets need to be populated ?.
Open to any suggestions about possible problems.

No, it won't work. You at least need an F8 ROM to do anything at all. With that, you *might* get a monitor, but likely you will need the rest of either integer BASIC (4 ROMs) or preferably AppleSoft BASIC (6 ROMs). There is no code to run in your current setup... Nothing will happen.

Ok now i build a crazy adapter thingy by "TMA-1" from this thread :
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/229489-replacing-apple-ii-roms-with-2716-eproms/

And seem to kind of works ?, now the screen is fill mostly flashing ? charters and stuff, and can see the "][" logo and something that look like the dump output from the monitor rom ?.
But is all messed up no beep doing reset on the keyboard most of the time show this:

That is better- you are running something, but there is a problem with your ROM, the adapter, or the machine itself. I can't really tell.

With the original F8 ROM from Integer BASIC, you'll get this:
noauto.png
With a newer "autostart" F8 ROM from a Language card or a II+, you will get blank screen with "APPLE ][" at the top, then the monitor prompt, or it will try to boot from disk if you have it in a slot.

Last edited:
Back