• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIe lid “Velcro” ?

thenzero

Experienced Member
About to ask you guys a dumb question…does anyone know where to get replacement Velcro (I’m sure this is the wrong thing to call it but I don’t know what it’s called) that attaches to the lid on an early (gray keys) Apple IIe? See pics for what I’m talking about.

Attachments

• photo61816.jpg
    photo61816.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo61817.jpg
    photo61817.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3
I dunno about an exact replacement, but I can vouch that this adhesive velcro is pretty good, and it looks like it might be near the same "hook" size: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C60C72U

It might interface with the old black velcro you have left, but if it was me, i'd replace it altogether on both sides, especially since nobody is gonna see it inside the case there :p

Sorry if this is a dumb answer, but I saw nobody had responded yet, and this was the best I had.

Not a dumb answer, thank you. I would like to see if anyone knows a source for the original style but if I can’t find one I’ll consider this route.

I remembered I had some of that Velcro you posted the picture of in my garage so I went ahead and did a temporary fix and you were right it worked great.

Attachments

• photo61819.jpg
    photo61819.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2
It worked less great once I got it installed on both sides.

see:

https://youtu.be/2K8aDAPMFeQ

at the suggestion of VERAULT I went ahead and epoxied the original snap back on. That holds the lid on but it’s annoying that the two sides don’t match…

Yeah, good call. I said hook and loop in the video and immediately regretted it but not enough to remake the video. Haha

I believe the stuff is known as mushroom head fasteners. Very different from hook-and-loop Velcro™.

Didn't know that was what it was called, but it's certainly an apt description!

The previous Amazon link I posted is exactly that. Discovered the stuff when looking for something to install a liquid soap dispenser in my shower. Can't use anything too permanent since I live in an apartment, and had this stuff suggested to me.

The particular one I posted is "command strip" style, meaning you can easily peel the strip off without damaging the surface if you only intend to use it temporarily, but it won't come off accidentally, and has a strong hold.

It looks like 3m makes a bunch of different variations of it, so you might find a close match to the original through them.

It looks like the way it was originally installed on there was it had two posts that the fastners got threaded onto, which were then melted down to sandwich it in place. Did the posts get completely snapped off where the fastner is missing?

It looks like the way it was originally installed on there was it had two posts that the fastners got threaded onto, which were then melted down to sandwich it in place. Did the posts get completely snapped off where the fastner is missing?

Some of them are partially snapped, some are still there. If you look in the video you can see where I drilled holes through the 3M replacement to allow the posts to poke through.

Hmm not sure if that link is broken or if the thing you linked to is just out of production?

You're right, sorry. Most of the other listings seem to have any related (order-able) products listed right at the top.

It looks like they call their mushroom fasteners "dual lock" since both sides are the same, and thus interchangeable, unlike hook and loop.

Heres a search page for "dual lock" on their site.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/search/?Ntt=Dual+lock
It looks like it's mostly sold by roll, and comes in different sizes based on density of the "stems" per square inch. It looks like the type on your machine probably has a really low density.

Back