• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIgs 120V PSU - does it easily convert to 240V?

TRS-Ian

Veteran Member
I suppose this question has been asked before so I'm just hoping for a quick answer..?

It's an Astec AA13581

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

I suppose this question has been asked before so I'm just hoping for a quick answer..?

It's an Astec AA13581

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

I don't believe the US market PSU was easily convertible, the international ones were easily converted to US 120V though, lol.

Your best bet is either purchase a 240V PSU and just replace it, OR gut it and install a custom PSU board inside it, maybe even an auto-ranging supply so it is universal.

I am really not sure why a dual voltage PSU wasn't standard, it was pretty common in the PC world by this point in time, and the IIgs was meant to be a universal/international market machine with it's detached localized keyboard, and NTSC/PAL option built in, you would think it would have made sense to make the PSU dual voltage :confused:

It's an Astec AA13581

Thanks in advance,

Ian.
Can you show a picture of the PCB of your PSU? Only from the top (component side) initially. You have to disassemble the lid of the PSU (held in place by 4 screws as far as I remember).

Thanks everyone, I've been running it through a step-down transformer and it works fine. I opened it up and it is a Dynacomp PSU like in the picture from amauget.

I've converted a few Apple ][+ PSUs to 240V just by removing the a wire (those that are Astec A11040B) and I'm keen to try it with the IIgs PSU but am slightly worried about the differing components in the primary section mentioned above.

I may try it one day when I have a spare IIgs Dynacomp PSU on hand...

Cheers,

Ian.

Back