Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Unitron - Apple II clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try reseating the LS323 on your disk controller card location C3. The write protect logic is on pin 11.
    Or find another chip to try. Or even another controller card. They show up cheap on ebay. I would think a standard Disk II controller would work,
    just be careful to align the ribbons correctly on the pins

Larry G

Comment

Originally posted by retrogear View Post
      Try reseating the LS323 on your disk controller card location C3. The write protect logic is on pin 11.
      I just noticed that the controller board is labelled 74LS232 at this location, but a 74LS323 is installed. Must be a typo on the board, since the link that snuci gave has a photo of a similar Unitron controller, and both the chip and the label at that location are 74LS323.

Anyway, I tried reseating the 74LS323 and no luck. However, I checked the signal on pin 11 with a logic probe and there's nothing there. Must be a bad connection somewhere, maybe the cable or something in the drive. I'll do more testing later on.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Ok the drive has to be running. I just tested on mine.
        1) Boot up drive 1 with door open so motor is on.
        2) Put probe or meter on the LS323 pin 11.
        3) Just slide a floppy in. It will be 0 then 4V when disk pushes switch then back to 0 when falls in notch cutout

Comment

The cable is definitely the problem (or at least one of the problems): I checked connectivity on each wire between the controller end and the drive end, and wire 20 is broken (no connectivity). Wire 20 carries the write protect signal, which explains why I wasn't seeing a signal on pin 11 of the 74LS323. Now that I looked closely, I can actually see the break in wire 20 right at the controller connector.

I managed to remove the IDC connector without damaging it, and cut the damaged portion off the cable. However, when I tried attaching the IDC connector again, all the pins were shorted (good thing I checked!). I removed it and tried a second time - same result. I broke the connector taking it off the third time.

I'm guessing these IDC press connectors can't be re-used? Or is there a trick to installing them?

Anyway, I'll get a couple more 20-pin IDC connectors and try again later.

Comment

people are reading too much into the brand name of these clone machines.during the peak of cloning in Taiwan, there were thousands of small mom-and-pop shops in Taipei alone assembling these machines under their own brand names from subassemblies sourced from a dozen or so factories. A few larger companies added some interesting twists to their own motherboard layouts, but by and large most are fairly unimaginative clones.

Comment

Well, I figured out why the re-attached IDC connector was shorted: the ribbon cable actually has second layer of plastic laminated on covering a copper mesh - some sort of shielding I guess, never seen that before. Anyway, after peeling off a bit of the mesh and plastic, I got the IDC connector on without any more problems, and the drive is now working 100%.

Comment

I've seen that before on genuine Apple Disk ][s, presumably from right around the time original ][s and ][+s came with makeshift shielding.
                Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

If its not using a mask programmed microcontroller then the eprom will be the same as the other clones of the day, I probably have one here that is the same.
                  Post a photo of your keyboard and I'll upload a suitable eprom image.

Originally posted by falter View Post
                  I have pretty much the same machine. Mine was branded a Linden and has different keycaps but the rest is identical. I have been trying to buy another one because the keyboard broke while I was using it to try to restore a real Apple II.. I suspect the eprom is toast. Hopefully one day I can find a dump of it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by sid View Post
                    Since I got this machine, I've been keeping an eye on Ebay hoping I could upgrade to a real II+, but damn they are pricey.

Hah, I was going to ask you guys if it made sense to swap the eprom with real Apple ones. Are these clones usually 100% compatible, even with Apple brand hardware? I was thinking about getting an Apple Super Serial card for this.

(What the best part of owning these machines?)
                    You may want to reprogram the f8/f0 eprom so it displays "APPLE ][" unpatched version of prodos won't boot unless it says apple on the screen. Other than that the ROMS are identical.

Comment

Good thing nothing for the C64 does that. I mean, the first thing one does when burning a custom KERNAL is change the READY. prompt. The second thing is the boot screen.

Comment

Originally posted by David_M View Post
                        You may want to reprogram the f8/f0 eprom so it displays "APPLE ][" unpatched version of prodos won't boot unless it says apple on the screen. Other than that the ROMS are identical.
                        Ah, good to know. I guess I'll have to pick up a programmer one of these days.

Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
                        Good thing nothing for the C64 does that. I mean, the first thing one does when burning a custom KERNAL is change the READY. prompt. The second thing is the boot screen.
                        Probably never a reason to - were any C64 clones ever made?

Comment

Originally posted by David_M View Post
                          Or you can patch the ProDOS to ignore the failed ROM checksum and just boot.

Comment

I wonder how ProDOS could do that. Different official ROMs say different things:

APPLE ][
                            APPLE ][+
                            Apple //

Are just three of the ones I have. I don't recall what the //c says, maybe Apple //c, and my GS doesn't boot anymore; maybe it says Apple ||?

Maybe it searches for any of those, or just Apple, in either case? I wonder how early versions would detect later ROMs.

Comment

I am not aware of any version of ProDOS checking for the string "Apple". Even early versions determine model by looking at some id bytes at $FB1E, $FBB3 and $FBC0. There should be an RTS at $FE1F.

Larry G

Comment

Back in the day when Prodos first came out I worked for a company selling apple clones, the only difference was the name string in the F8 ROM. Prodos would not boot past the title screen, simply changing those 8 bytes back to APPLE ][ solved the problem.
                                As far as I know it does a case insensitive check for the word "APPLE". You can easily test it yourself, from memory in an Apple 2+ the name is stored at FB09h with bit 7 set on all characters.

Edit: I found this on wikipedia, it confirms my recollection.
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_ProDOS

Originally posted by retrogear View Post
                                I am not aware of any version of ProDOS checking for the string "Apple". Even early versions determine model by looking at some id bytes at $FB1E, $FBB3 and $FBC0. There should be an RTS at $FE1F.

Larry G
                                Last edited by David_M; March 20, 2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X