Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Unitron - Apple II clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unitron - Apple II clone

I picked up an Apple II clone system locally last week for $50 CAD (~$40 USD).

This is my first Apple II system, so I went into this knowing nothing, thought I've read a ton in the last week!

It was listed as unknown condition "as-is". It came with:
    • Zenith monochrome monitor
    • Disk II clone (Labelled "Data Drive" on case, and "Shugart" inside the drive chassis)
    • Unitron computer w/:
      • 48k RAM
      • 16k RAM expansion card (Is this the same as an Apple language card?)
      • parallel printer card
      • 80 column video card
      • floppy drive controller card

The base computer and monitor seem to work perfectly. The drive seems to function mechanically, but I don't have any Apple II formatted disks to test the drive with. I managed to get ADTPro bootstrapped using the tape ports, but I'm getting errors when using it to format disks - still working on that.

This is my first real exposure to an "Apple II" system, and I can see why this hardware had/has a loyal following. I've never seen a computer quite like this before. It's like something build by and for a hardware hobbyist... everything is labelled and socketed, and it has basically no custom ICs at all - it's like an "open source" computer - very cool!

Anyway, I took some pictures when I disassembled it for cleaning and thought you guys might find them of interest.

Nice! I never saw that particular one before, but I've seen lots of other Apple clones, and in every case the hardware was better, sometimes much better than a real Apple.

Where was this one made? Taiwan?
    Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

According to Lowendmac, Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
        According to Lowendmac, Germany.
        It seems odd that they would go through the trouble of having a custom lower-case modification, and not use a QWERTZ keyboard with umlauts.

I think I just answered my own qvestion: I looked again at the above picture, and can see MADE IN ?????? R.O.? on the sticker on the right hand side of the motherboard.

Comment

Unitron clones were developed in Brazil, they even made a clone of the Macintosh, boards were probably produced elsewhere.

http://www.cultofmac.com/266710/meet...cintosh-clone/

Comment

What's interesting about yours is that it has a Multiflex Tech Inc. made card. I wonder if these computers were purchased from Unitron and resold through Multiflex Tech Inc of Markham, Ontario? I also have the Zeus 80 that is an S-100 computer with Multiflex Tech Inc ties here.

I have an Apple II clone that I think is similar but my board is green so I'll see if I can take some pics and see if they match. I remember the ROMS being in a similar configuration which I found odd. Could be sourced from a Canadian company also as mine was acquired from a fellow Canadian as well.

EDIT: If you haven't seen this page, you might want to check out the links on page. It has a picture of a blue motherboard. http://www.applelogic.org/UnitronAndI.html
            Maintainer of http://vintagecomputer.ca

Comment

I have pretty much the same machine. Mine was branded a Linden and has different keycaps but the rest is identical. I have been trying to buy another one because the keyboard broke while I was using it to try to restore a real Apple II.. I suspect the eprom is toast. Hopefully one day I can find a dump of it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by snuci View Post
                What's interesting about yours is that it has a Multiflex Tech Inc. made card. I wonder if these computers were purchased from Unitron and resold through Multiflex Tech Inc of Markham, Ontario? I also have the Zeus 80 that is an S-100 computer with Multiflex Tech Inc ties here.

I have an Apple II clone that I think is similar but my board is green so I'll see if I can take some pics and see if they match. I remember the ROMS being in a similar configuration which I found odd. Could be sourced from a Canadian company also as mine was acquired from a fellow Canadian as well.

EDIT: If you haven't seen this page, you might want to check out the links on page. It has a picture of a blue motherboard. http://www.applelogic.org/UnitronAndI.html
                Anyone could have put that card in at any time. Especially if the stock 80 column / lowercase card was foreign language specific.

That site is interesting! So this may be a very good copy of an illegitimate clone!

Comment

Originally posted by falter View Post
                  I have pretty much the same machine. Mine was branded a Linden and has different keycaps but the rest is identical. I have been trying to buy another one because the keyboard broke while I was using it to try to restore a real Apple II.. I suspect the eprom is toast. Hopefully one day I can find a dump of it somewhere.
                  That's sad. The second best part of owning these fascinating machines is seeing what substitutes for "APPLE ][" in the ROM.

Comment

Wow! I have the exact same machine, with the blue PCB. Same Zenith monitor too and a Shugart floppy drive though I could never get my drive to work. These must be fairly common in Canada especially in the GTA.
                    Currently working on new DOS game, Chuck Jones: Space Cop of the Future, Check out my Dev Blog. WARNING: contains rocket powered El Caminos

Vintage Computers:
                    Unitron Apple II clone, 2x Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, AST Premium 286, 3 386sx PCs, Atari TT030
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
                      I think I just answered my own qvestion: I looked again at the above picture, and can see MADE IN ?????? R.O.? on the sticker on the right hand side of the motherboard.
                      Yep, to me it looks like it says R.O.C., ie Taiwan.

There's something else interesting about that sticker, though. The serial # is 7100013, so either they made hundreds of thousands of them or the "71" is a prefix and the OP has the 13th one made.

Edited to add: After typing that, I had a look at the Unitron page linked to above. The serial number of the board on there is 721172, so I'm not sure what to make of that.
                      Last edited by roberttx; March 11, 2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Some serial numbers are truly serial. But in my experience this is pretty uncommon. Most are coded, and some appear to be random.

Comment

Nice! I never saw that particular one before, but I've seen lots of other Apple clones, and in every case the hardware was better, sometimes much better than a real Apple.
                          Since I got this machine, I've been keeping an eye on Ebay hoping I could upgrade to a real II+, but damn they are pricey.

So there isn't actually a quality upgrade with going to a real Apple? Any other practicle reason to upgrade to a real Apple II+ over the machine I have here?[/QUOTE]

Where was this one made? Taiwan?
                          Yeah, a few of the boards had a "Made in Taiwan" sticker that came off while cleaning. And as you already noticed, the mainboard was made in Taiwan.

What's interesting about yours is that it has a Multiflex Tech Inc. made card. I wonder if these computers were purchased from Unitron and resold through Multiflex Tech Inc of Markham, Ontario?
                          Ah, I didn't realize Multiflex was based in Markham.. interesting. I bought this one off the original owner in Brampton, so not too far from Markham.

Wow, nice photos there. The main board looks to be the same as the one I got, though a few of the cards are different. Interesting history, thanks.

Originally posted by falter View Post
                          The keyboard eprom, "Unitron K" in my photo?

That's sad. The second best part of owning these fascinating machines is seeing what substitutes for "APPLE ][" in the ROM.
                          Hah, I was going to ask you guys if it made sense to swap the eprom with real Apple ones. Are these clones usually 100% compatible, even with Apple brand hardware? I was thinking about getting an Apple Super Serial card for this.

(What the best part of owning these machines?)

Comment

Originally posted by PgrAm View Post
                            Wow! I have the exact same machine, with the blue PCB. Same Zenith monitor too and a Shugart floppy drive though I could never get my drive to work. These must be fairly common in Canada especially in the GTA.
                            Does your drive have those bodge wires and snipped resistors on the analogue board? (See last photo, next to the bodge wires, two resistors were snipped an pulled back.) I was wondering if those were last minute bug fixes or if someone modded the drive somehow...

I got a hold of an Apple II formatted disk and did more testing: the drive boots and reads fine, but still refuses to format. If I try to format a non-Apple disk, it returns I/O error, but I try to format a disk already formatted to Apple, I get a write protect enabled error. I checked the write protect switch with a multimeter and it's fine. I read somewhere to try reseating all the ICs, but on this clone drive all the ICs are soldered in...

Comment

In my experience, the clones are as good as or better than a real Apple. But I haven't used them all. I don't recall any issues with software incompatibility, but again I didn't try everything on the market. Even the Laser 128 supposedly has a handful of high profile software titles that don't work.

Oh on the other hand, I do recall some issues; some poorly written programs assume that the Apple can only display characters that real ][s display. So occasionally, you'll get Chinese characters mixed in with English text. I don't recall that being a huge problem, though. The same thing can happen on real Apple hardware, with lowercase kits, or other legitimate alternative ROMs. I'm sure I've had punctuation marks where there were supposed to be uppercase characters on my upgraded ][+.

Comment

Working...
                              X