• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro II--A few problems

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
OK, so my Kaypro finally came in. Luckily, it was insured, or so a sticker on it says. It looks nice--except for a few disabilitating dents. There are two, right where the keyboard goes in to the front of the case. They appear fixable, with some careful work with a rubber mallot, a 2x4, and plyiers. It has a few areas that could use cleaning as well. It was sold as working, but I can't seem to get it to work. I power it up, and the power light illuminates, as expected. Both drive lights turn on for a second, but the top(a:) light stays on. I insert the boot disk, as the manual says. It makes a sound like it reads a single track, then it stops, as does the motor that spins the disk. No text appears on the monitor, it just has a dim green glow to it. I even tried adjusting the brightness, as I have let it run for a while(no boot disk), and it eventually beeps and the motor for the drive clicks off. Any help here?
Also, I the reason I put this thread here and not in the CP/M & MP/M section is because the thread is featured on the hardware, not the software that runs it.

--Ryan

Picture of the Kaypro

Picture of top shipping damage

Picture of bottom shipping damage

Closeup of bottom shipping damage

EDIT: I also notice, when I insert a disk, tap the unit, or open the drive door letting it hit the top with a bang, the screen jiggles. Maybe a bad internal connection? I will investigate tonight

Last edited:
I managed to batter the case into acceptable condition. The damage I had pictured was the only damage. I used a mix of a few different sized hammers, a mallot, plyiers, and an old rag. I used the rag to cover the metal while doing the repairs, so it wouldn't scratch. I will have pictures later. It looks MUCH better now, and the keyboard closes into the case. The damage is still visible, but not as severe. As for the monitor? I opened the case, and the connector (that plugs onto the mobo) was just loose, to the point of falling off the mobo. I plugged it back in, which fixed it perfectly! My new PC lives!

My A: drive seems to be damaged. A quick cleaning and possibly re-oiling should work. It'll work great, seems i just wrote a guide on that at VintageIBM.net. Just skip a few steps, and I'll be fine! The Kaypro needs some cleaning, but nothing major. I will have pics of the working piece later this evening.

I decided I will probably let the seller go for the shipping problem, if the insurance is valid. The mistake seems innocent enough, and I let them know that next time with such an item, they should pack the keyboard seperate, or at least wrap it in bubble wrap, for protection.

--Ryan

Tony--I no longer need that CP/M disk. Mine works perfectly. The seller probably put the disk in the wrong drive :roll:.

Back