• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

First 80 char x 25 line laptop/notebook?

tezza

Veteran Member
What computer would folk consider to be the first example of the "clamshell"-type notebooks we use today?

I don't mean the first LCD laptop portables, like the Epson HX-20 or TRS-80 Model 100, or even the limited LCD display units where the screen does fold over like the Epson PX-8.

No, I mean the first laptop to have an 80 x 25 line full blown (Plasma?) screen in it's lid. A screen that emulated that on a PC-DOS/MS-DOS or a CP/M machine. (I'm assuming this machine I'm seeking the name of had one of these two OSs).

Who was first?

Tez

On doing some further research, perhaps it was the Grid Compass from 1982? Not MS-DOS or CM/P but certainly a clam-shell shape with a full sized screen. Just goes to show you shouldn't assume anything when it comes to this old technology :)

Ok, now that I know that piece of information maybe I'll refine the question.

What was the first full-screen, clam-shell MS-DOS and/or CP/M Laptop?

Tez

Last edited:
I'm tired and have other stuff on my mind right now, so this reply will be incomplete.

A few thoughts:

In 1982, the MicroOffice Roadrunner had a custom but CP/M-compatible OS. So that answers part of the question posed. But its screen was only 80x8.

By 1983-1984 there were several clamshells available -- later model Grids, Tandy 200, Gavilan, Sharp PC-5000, IBM 5140, HP 110, etc. -- I'd have to double-check their display specs but I don't believe any had 80x25 screens.

Different story by 1985. HP-110 Plus, Toshiba T-1100, various models from AT&T / Sharp / etc. all had "modern" LCD screens.

Something must've happened to seriously advance the size and cost of LCDs in 1984-1985. I plan to cover this in my book. LCDs also advanced in handheld devices in 1985. Up to and including 1984, all of the handheld screens were one-line or two-line deals. During and after 1985, all of the handheld screens were larger LCDs. The first handheld that I could find in this trend is the Casio FX-7000G -- the first graphing calculator.

Back