Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Toshiba Libretto file transfer quandry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am completely out of my league at this web site

However, I am in need of help and you guys seem like you might be able to send me in the right direction.

My Sony laptop recently died. I was visiting the graveyard of my old computers in the attic and I came upon my beloved Toshiba Libretto 50 CT that runs Windows 95.

I would love to have it reconfigured so that I have WiFi to surf the net instead of the dial-up modem card that fits into its single slot.

It has only 1 slot which attaches to an external floppy disk drive. There is no USB port.

I want it for travel to check my email, surf the Internet, and to use word, excel and powerpoint.

I have never loved a computer like I love this little Libretto. Can someone bring it into the 21st Century so I can use it? I am unhandy and would be happy to pay someone to make it work. Is it possible?

Please email debragussman@juno.com if you have any suggestions.

Thanks, Deb

Comment

If it has a USB port on the back like my old toshiba 4200, you could run a wireless adaptor like i did,untill my monitor broke.lol

So wireless is an option if you have a wireless router of course.

another option USB Pen Data Stick.?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by dgussman View Post
        It has only 1 slot which attaches to an external floppy disk drive. There is no USB port.
        Originally posted by steveuk View Post
        If it has a USB port on the back like my old toshiba 4200, you could run a wireless adaptor like i did,untill my monitor broke.lol

So wireless is an option if you have a wireless router of course.

another option USB Pen Data Stick.?

Steve
        Neither of those are viable options.

I don't know if it's possible or not, but I don't think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyW View Post
          Neither of those are viable options.

I don't know if it's possible or not, but I don't think it is.
          oh well worth a try i guess.lol

Comment

I'm confused: there's a modem and a disk drive each plugged into the single slot?

Assuming the modem is plugged into a PCMCIA slot, you could probably replace it with a wireless card, although you'd probably have trouble finding a W95 driver. There were cards with W98 drivers if you can upgrade, but the bottom line is pretty iffy.

Comment

If you read really carefully, it says, "There is no USB port."

If you have a slot that takes a modem, then you could pull the modem and use a wireless adapter. Although I'm not that familiar with the unit, Vint says above that it has a PCMCIA slot, so, that would work. Someone must make a single slot height wireless.

You might want to carry the modem for places that don't have network access and, if you can find one, a Ethernet card for places that have "jack-in" network, but no wireless. I seem to recall some manufacturers making single height Ethernet adapters.

You will, most likely, have to upgrade the OS to 98SE or something.
              Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Comment

Didn't I just say that? Musta crossed in cyberspace...

I've got some single-height PCMCIA 10Base-T and wireless cards that have W98 drivers, but I haven't actually tried the wireless yet with W98.
                Last edited by MikeS; August 10, 2008, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                  Didn't I just say that? Musta crossed in cyberspace...
                  Yeah, I was typing slowly because I know you guys don't read too fast LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dgussman View Post
                    However, I am in need of help and you guys seem like you might be able to send me in the right direction. . . .I came upon my beloved Toshiba Libretto 50 CT that runs Windows 95. I would love to have it reconfigured so that I have WiFi to surf the net instead of the dial-up modem card that fits into its single slot.
                    I'll try to help 'some' here - but I don't know 'wireless' and I avoid it like the plague, but that's just me Here is the information I can supply:

My Toshiba Libretto CT50 is happy with any type I/II 5 volt PC card in it's PCMCIA slot.
                    I'm currently using this setup - a Sandisk PC card to Compact Flash adapter which I bought for like $3.50. I inserted a 64 meg CF card into it and I use this setup to transfer files to/from my Libretto.

Here is a link to a $80. new ($50. used), Wireless CF card that I think will fit the Sandisk adapter without clearance problems, - only trying the fit would tell. Whether it'll work for what you want, I don't know. There's quite a bit of blurb at this link to help you with a decision - plus what the guys here at VCF can tell you.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WCF11-.../dp/B00005U1B5

Comment

Before you buy it, make sure Linksys has a driver for your machine and OS. as far as fitting, it looks like it would fit like a glove-- but may not leave clearance for a second card (second slot there?). This has been my biggest problem with wireless and win95.

You sure have come a long way with this Libretto, kudos! Working with Toshibas, they're a joy (most of the time).

Nathan
                      The ancients knew *more* than us...
                      http://www.legendarytimes.com/forum/index.php They're baaaack!

Come and see http://www.gamegavel.com for all your gaming needs! We have Zero-ohm resistors!

Comment

Originally posted by Vint View Post
                        I received the Libretto 50CT I'd been waiting on. I ordered a Sandisk Compact Flash to PCMCIA card adapter off Amazon for like $3.50 and transferring files is now a breeze. My main PC has a card reader for the Compact Flash unit and this allows me to read and write files to the Libretto easily going thru the PC card slot.

I now have a new question for anyone that might have worked with these Compact Flash cards before. Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a limit to the size of CF card I can use with this Libretto CT50 that is running Win 95?
                        It seems to me I read that I have a 512k limit here - but for the life of me I can't find where I read that. Anybody have that info? I scoured around but haven't run across any mention of a limit on the CF size.
                        As you've already stumbled onto the answer to your original question, I'll just confirm that the CF card<-->PCMCIA adapter is the best solution I found for the problem. As for capacity, I don't think it'll recognize a 2Gb, or even 1Gb card (I could be wrong). The card I used was a 256Kb, so I do know that one works.

Sorry to hear that you don't like wireless though (it's really simpler than you think). That was one of my Libretto's most endearing qualities - the ability to wander around with it while on the Net, etc. a feat that is much more difficult or even impossible with a larger laptop. You really ought to look into that angle, I'm sure you'll love it.

--T
                        Last edited by Terry Yager; August 11, 2008, 11:36 PM.
                        Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Comment

The CT 50 has it's modem built in.

As for networking, if you have wireless, I recommend a Cisco 340 wireless card, since I know it to work with the Libretto. I never did have any luck getting IE or Firefox to work with W95, but I used OffByOne browser and it worked just fine for me. YMMV, etc, etc.

--T

Comment

Anyone ever wonder, after all these informative posts, if the sub-OP will ever be back to read them?

Comment

Concerning wireless -

Thanks for your input Terry.
                              Since I do put a lot of credence is what is stated in the forums, I will have a look into the wireless world. You can teach an old dog new tricks and maybe I've been a little closed minded concerning wireless.

Comment

You seem to have a pretty good grasp on PCMCIA, so I figger you can master wireless in no time. IMO, it's less complicated.

--T

Comment

Working...
                                X