• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba Satellite Hard Drive?

ComputerGeek2000

Hi. I hope this is the right place for me to post this. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1805-s207 laptop that I'm trying to get a hard drive for. It is a Intel Celeron early Windows XP laptop. I found a couple IDE to CF card adaptors for laptops on Amazon. Could I use one of those? Should I try a IDE to SD card adapter? The original hard drive was a 20GB 9.5MM IDE laptop hard drive. I would upload photos, but it says that the photos have exceeded the maximum file size and I don't know how to make the file size smaller.

I would have thought there should be loads of 2.5" spinning hard drives still around that are suitable, I can't comment on the ide to sd adapter, I've only used those in desktops, I don't know what's involved in fitting a ide to sd adapter to yours but i have a Toshiba Satellite 1800-712 and it doesn't look quite so easy as in just plug in and go.

I think you can use most 2.5" PATA hard drive as long as the thickness is okay. You could also try a CF or SD adapter as long as you pay attention to matching pin 1's since many of the adapters can be plugged in reversed into the connector. The real issue is do you have the drivers and OS disks to install the OS.

I've always had weird issues with CF cards (industrial and high performance consumer) when using them on machines with 2K or newer. SD cards seem even slower.
I would just pull the drive out of another junk laptop and stuff that in there.

I have a toshiba satellite and I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing. Those cf drives are so useful. I will also note that you can get refurb drive from ebay for less than ten dollars.

Nevermind what I said here. I think I'm wrong and this is standard. Not sure why it's different from the 2.5" CF adapter pins.

Last edited:
Hi. I hope this is the right place for me to post this. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1805-s207 laptop that I'm trying to get a hard drive for. It is a Intel Celeron early Windows XP laptop. I found a couple IDE to CF card adaptors for laptops on Amazon. Could I use one of those? Should I try a IDE to SD card adapter? The original hard drive was a 20GB 9.5MM IDE laptop hard drive. I would upload photos, but it says that the photos have exceeded the maximum file size and I don't know how to make the file size smaller.

I'm not sure about being able to store data on a 2.5 in. Who transferred the data and gave me some advice

Snapped off the extra pin but it didn’t work. Just kept asking for a system disk.

Don't give up on this just yet I've had this issue when using cf card adapters many times. Usually the master boot record just needs to be re-written.
On dos systems I'd boot off of a floppy, then (if the issue you're having is what I think it is) you should be able to see the cf card and even use it. To boot off of it run an fdisk /mbr and then try rebooting.

I've also tried putting cf cards in as laptop replacements a number of times. for dos to windows 9x no issues. with xp I had an issue with swapping but you can either live without swapping or there is a fix so that xp doesn't see it as "removable" and will then be willing to swap on it.

Don't give up on this just yet I've had this issue when using cf card adapters many times. Usually the master boot record just needs to be re-written.
On dos systems I'd boot off of a floppy, then (if the issue you're having is what I think it is) you should be able to see the cf card and even use it. To boot off of it run an fdisk /mbr and then try rebooting.

I've also tried putting cf cards in as laptop replacements a number of times. for dos to windows 9x no issues. with xp I had an issue with swapping but you can either live without swapping or there is a fix so that xp doesn't see it as "removable" and will then be willing to swap on it.

Ok I’ll look at that when I get home. I’m skeptical since this cf card boots in another computer but I’ll try booting from something else and see if I can see it.

Good call Divarin.

I tried it again. Didn’t work the first time but then I took it out and reseated it and it worked! Didn’t need to do the fix mbr thing. So maybe the pins are just a little wonky? But anyway I think the point is proved, the satellite was able to boot and run from that adapter.

For reference I’m attaching pictures of the hard drive my satellite.

Attachments

• photo61629.jpg
    photo61629.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo61630.jpg
    photo61630.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1
Heck yeah, swappable windows 3.1 and 98.

Attaching a couple pics of the cf adapter in the Satellite caddy and the pins with the pin I snapped off.

Attachments

• photo61631.jpg
    photo61631.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo61632.jpg
    photo61632.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1
Back