Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

pair of Osborne Executives...archiving software with Kryoflux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pair of Osborne Executives...archiving software with Kryoflux?

I just acquired a large amount of vintage computer stuff (my dad is cleaning out his garage). There's a lot of Apple II and early Mac stuff, but also a pair of Osborne Executives. I remember using one of these when I was very young. So far, I've only looked at one of them and it's working fine after a cleaning and replacing some capacitors in the power supply. I also have a large number of floppy disks, including many disks for these Osbornes. I want to digitally archive these floppies if they haven't already degraded. I don't have any experience doing that, but it looks like I could accomplish this with a Kryoflux. Wikipedia says that, unlike the Osborne 1, the floppy drives in the Executive are Shugart standard. Does that mean that I can just connect one of the Executive's floppy drives to the Kryoflux to both read and write floppies that will then be readable by the Executive?

While the Kryoflux is one (higher priced) option, there are a couple more options that are much cheaper. Check out this URL:
    https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?t=853

Other options are GreaseWeazle & FluxEngine, both are very inexpensive, work wonderful, and will do a good job.

GreaseWeazle:
    https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle
    https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle/wiki/Downloads
    https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle/wiki

FluxEngine:
    https://github.com/davidgiven/fluxengine
    http://cowlark.com/fluxengine/

You must be careful removing the Osborne Floppy Drives and using them with the above Flux Imagers as the OSBORNE FLOPPY's
    have POWER +5VDC (3 Pins) +12 VDC (4 Pins) that will require +5VDC to be applied to to specific pins to make the drive functional.
    You would be better off to have a Standard Floppy Drive as a standalone unit, connected to a Flux Reader. (You should be sure to not
    plug a Standard Floppy Drive into the Osborne Computer's Floppy Cable(s)).

Another option would be to send your Floppy's to someone who could create *.SCP files and return the Floppy's and *.SCP files.

Larry

Attached Files
    Last edited by ldkraemer; June 16, 2021, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The Kryoflux's cost isn't prohibitive. I have hundreds of floppies to go through, so I'd rather not risk shipping them and then pay for hours of someone else's time. I have a "standard" 1.2mb 5.25" drive (Mitsumi D509V2) that I could connect to a flux reader as a standalone unit. I'm guessing I could use that to reliably read and archive the Osborne Executive floppies, but would I also be able to use that drive to write floppies for the Executive? I don't have my head wrapped around everything yet (so many drive specs and file formats), but I've read that 40 track drives like my Osbornes' can't reliably read disks written by an 80 track drive. As for properly powering the Osborne floppy drives when used with a flux reader, could I not just leave them connected to the Osborne's power supply but connect them to the flux reader's data cable?

Comment

You have to remember that you are now dealing with Pins 11, 13, 15, and 17 with +12VDC, and Pins 21, 23, and 25 with +5VDC, which are
        typically GND for the IBM and Shugart Interfaces.

Code:
        IBM Interface

Pin Name Dir Description
        2 /REDWC --> Density Select
        4 n/c Reserved
        6 n/c Reserved
        8 /INDEX <-- Index                                Floppy is STRAPPED for DS1 - Driv Sel B
        10 /MOTEA --> Motor Enable A --\  /-----/MOTEB --> 10 Motor Enable B
        12 /DRVSB --> Drive Sel B ---\/-\/------/DRVSA --> 14 Drive Sel A
        14 /DRVSA --> Drive Sel A ---/\-/\------/DRVSB --> 12 Drive Sel B
        16 /MOTEB --> Motor Enable B --/  \-----/MOTEA --> 16 Motor Enable A
        18 /DIR --> Direction
        20 /STEP --> Step
        22 /WDATE --> Write Data
        24 /WGATE --> Floppy Write Enable
        26 /TRK00 <-- Track 0
        28 /WPT <-- Write Protect
        30 /RDATA <-- Read Data
        32 /SIDE1 --> Head Select
        34 /DSKCHG <-- Disk Change/Ready

Shugart Interface

Pin Name Dir Description
        2 /DCD --> Disk Change Detect
        3 Key no pin in this position
        6 /DS3 Device Select 3
        4 /INUSE A common open-collector LED driver signal?
        8 /INDEX <-- Index
        10 /DS0 --> Device Select 0
        12 /DS1 --> Device Select 1
        14 /DS2 --> Device Select 2
        16 /MTRON --> Motor On
        18 /DIR --> Direction
        20 /STEP --> Step
        22 /WDATE --> Write Data
        24 /WGATE --> Floppy Write Enable
        26 /TRK00 <-- Track 0
        28 /WPT <-- Write Protect
        30 /RDATA <-- Read Data
        32 /SIDE1 --> Head Select
        34 /RDY --> Drive Ready/Disk Changed
        Larry
        Last edited by ldkraemer; June 18, 2021, 12:33 AM. Reason: moved text several spaces to align.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyPowers View Post
          Thanks for the info. The Kryoflux's cost isn't prohibitive. I have hundreds of floppies to go through, so I'd rather not risk shipping them and then pay for hours of someone else's time. I have a "standard" 1.2mb 5.25" drive (Mitsumi D509V2) that I could connect to a flux reader as a standalone unit. I'm guessing I could use that to reliably read and archive the Osborne Executive floppies, but would I also be able to use that drive to write floppies for the Executive? I don't have my head wrapped around everything yet (so many drive specs and file formats), but I've read that 40 track drives like my Osbornes' can't reliably read disks written by an 80 track drive. As for properly powering the Osborne floppy drives when used with a flux reader, could I not just leave them connected to the Osborne's power supply but connect them to the flux reader's data cable?
          If you write with an 80 track drive you need to make sure to wipe the diskette with a strong magnet first so the every other track doesn't have leftover data bits that will be read by the double width heads of your 40 track drives. A second device that does archiving is the SuperCard Pro that does flux level reading of any diskette for archiving and can write to a disk at the flux level. So it doesn't even need knowledge of the formatting. USA made so no problem with importing if you are in the USA.
          Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Comment

Kenny,
            I did reply on the Kryoflux Forum. You are doing it properly by using a TEAC 360K Floppy to write the Image. The Image you write will be one
            that is built from the .RAW Kryoflux stream files, that should be in an individual subdirectory. Something like OSB001, OSB002, OSB003, etc.
            Those sub-directories will have 0.0.RAW, 0.1.RAW, 1.0.RAW 1.1.RAW... 39.0.RAW, 39.1.RAW

That way you can make as many copies using the .RAW as you ever need. You will always use either SAMDISK by Simon Owen = Windows, or
            dsktrans a libdsk utility or dd in Linux to write the *.IMG file. The *.IMG file is a Sector Dump and that is written to your floppy. It should
            boot properly in the Osborne. You don't want to write the .RAW stream of flux files back to the floppy.

On the Kryoflux Forum, I've broken out the commands so you can create the .RAW streams, and then stream the .RAW files with the DTC software to create the *.IMG file, and write the floppy.

It should work fine with the 360K floppy drive.

If you haven't read my Guide on the Kryoflux forum, you need to read it, and try some of the commands.
            https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?t=853

I got a Notification of a PM but nothing there when I opened it because there is a BUG in this GREAT new system.

Larry
            Last edited by ldkraemer; July 14, 2021, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ldkraemer View Post
              You have to remember that you are now dealing with Pins 11, 13, 15, and 17 with +12VDC, and Pins 21, 23, and 25 with +5VDC, which are
              typically GND for the IBM and Shugart Interfaces.
              Just a quick note that the Osborne Executive does use the Shugart standard floppy interface which doesn't have power on the lines, unlike the Osborne 1 which does.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

agentb,
                I sure didn't realize that. I guess I should have looked at the schematic to 100% sure.

Thanks.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                X