• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Replacing IBM L40SX LCD

fargo

Experienced Member
I have an IBM L40SX laptop with cracked LCD. The LCD is a monochrome one and is separated from its backlight.

ibm_l40sx_lcd_backlight.jpg - LCD and Backlight
An exact LCD replacement is almost impossible to source of course, so I'm thinking of putting a 9" or 10" VGA panel in there. The laptop already has an external VGA port, which is connected to an internal socket. The new LCD can get its video signal from this VGA port or socket.

ibm_l40sx_vga_port.jpg - VGA Port
A modern VGA panel would require a controller board. I have been searching for a VGA controller board small enough to fit inside the laptop's lid. The other option is to replace the laptop's hard drive with a smaller CF board, which I've already done, and put the controller in the HDD bay.

LCD Bezel - LCD Bezel
Any suggestions please for a VGA panel and controller board suitable for this project?

Thank you.

If you search eBay for RaspberryPi 10" LCD, you might find something. I'm considering going that route for my Dolch PAC 386 project.

Thank you.

I ended up ordering an LCD panel with part number TM100SV-02L02. It's close in size to the IBM L40SX' LCD panel and has SVGA resolution (800x600), which is the closest I could find to the original's VGA (640x480). The controller board also has round cables for video signal (LVDS interface) and backlight power. This means I can round the cables via hinges like the original ones; this wouldn't be possible if the cables were ribbons.

I'll update this thread with photos once I get the parts.

Back