• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epson PX-8 Screen replacement (and other repairs)?

username1

Experienced Member
I recently picked up a PX-8 in a lot of other computers and it needs a little work. I've already got plans to build a new main battery and replace the internal battery, but there are some other concerns about the device that I could use information on.

The LCD panel in my PX-8 is heavily cracked in multiple areas, but somehow still works. I'll attach a photo showing what I mean. While it still functions, I worry about excess flex and movement further cracking it and I don't want to take it anyone for fear of damage. Are there any drop-in replacements for this LCD apart from scavenging another PX-8 for parts? How hard would it be to locate a replacement?

Also, there's a few issues with the micro-cassette drive. The pinch roller doesn't retract all the way and hits the micro-cassette as I try to close the door, which makes it difficult to load or remove tapes. Is there an easy adjustment for this? I really love this weird little computer and would love to get mine restored. If anyone has advice on these things or spare parts they'd be willing to sell, I'd appreciate all info.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo63828.jpg
    photo63828.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo63829.jpg
    photo63829.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I found a local battery place who helped me put together a battery back. They had the machine to weld batteries together easily. I've tried soldering them before, but it is a pain.

I've never seen a display with those types of cracks before!

Can you post a side view/rear view of that display module - I would really like to find a way to retrofit it with a back light somehow.

I've never seen anything like this either, it baffles me. I assume it somehow got stressed enough that the glass cracked but the film underneath wasn't damaged. It's the only way I could think for the LCD to have cracks but not the plastic cover over it. As I said, it works, but it looks like any additional light pressure could cause it to shatter, and the scratches also make it difficult to read. How rare are broken/parts PX-8s? Is anyone here a known PX-8 collector willing to part with a display? There's only a few on Ebay at high prices, and I'd prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

I'll upload a photo of the rear of the unit. The screws pictured are holding it into the front bezel of the display assembly (Warning: high resolution photo). I don't have any side-views, I reassembled the computer last night to make sure I didn't damage it in my tear-down. I did find that this is an easy computer to disassemble. Not finicky, no real plastic snaps to worry about, and everything disconnected easily and in a logical order, which is always nice. I really want to get it fixed up as it's an enjoyable weird portable I'd like to do some writing on (mine has the Wordstar ROM).

Attachments

• 20211008_161506.jpg
    20211008_161506.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1
Thanks - I hope you find another display. The only other thought I have is what about glass crack repair. Could whatever they use to fix windshields and the like also be usable on something like this. It may be a long shot. If you find another display and don't need this one let me know as I'd like to try to see if I could add a back light to one and having a test display would be ideal for that.

I'll probably set up a proper marketplace thread here to search for a replacement in the meantime, if I get one I'd be happy to send you mine for the cost of shipping. I don't see parts units being incredibly common, but someone might have one that was destroyed with battery corrosion or something. All of the batteries in mine had begun corroding but it hadn't spread past the battery connectors, thankfully, so I could neutralize it just by disconnecting the batteries (still finding a safe place to dispose of them) while I wait to build new ones.

I'd be very interested in seeing the results of your backlight project, it's the only real downfall of this machine as a great on-the-go word processor for me. I like the keyboard more than my Tandy model 100 and 80col text over 40col is also handy, but these monochrome screens do suffer legibility in less-than-optimal light conditions. A front lighting method using surface-mount LEDs could be interesting, but you'd probably see some problems with glare.

>I'll probably set up a proper marketplace thread here to search for a replacement in the meantime,

I hope it finds you a replacement!

>if I get one I'd be happy to send you mine for the cost of shipping.

That would be awesome - just let me know if you find a display an we'll do it.

>All of the batteries in mine had begun corroding but it hadn't spread past the battery connectors, thankfully, so
>I could neutralize it just by disconnecting the batteries (still finding a safe place to dispose of them) while I wait to build new ones.

It is good that it didn't spread/ruin other components.

>I'd be very interested in seeing the results of your backlight project, it's the only real downfall of this machine as a great on-the-go
>word processor for me. I like the keyboard more than my Tandy model 100 and 80col text over 40col is also handy, but these
>monochrome screens do suffer legibility in less-than-optimal light conditions.

I would love to be able to try it.

>A front lighting method using surface-mount LEDs could be interesting, but you'd probably see some problems with glare.

I use a small LED based light from the Walmart sewing aisle that is better than nothing, but I dream of a backlit display on the PX-8.

Back