• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Zenith Serial Connection

Comptech25

I'm giving my Zenith ZWL-184-97 laptop a new lease on life. I am attempting to use it to connect to my firewall through the serial port (RS-232). The laptop is running DOS 3.2. Can anyone tell me how I can connect to the firewall's command line through the serial port? When using my Windows XP machine, I can use telnet to do this.

The firewall is a Juniper 5xt. OOB? Not sure what that is. I do not have the Windows box connected to it right now.

The procedure is on the Juniper web site at http://kb.juniper.net/CUSTOMERSERVICE/KB4058
Probably good to try it first using HyperTerminal software on a modern PC (as described in the procedure), then switch to the Zenith laptop.
The software you would use on the Zenith laptop would be something like Procomm or Telix (available at http://members.dodo.com.au/~slappanel555/software.htm)

The procedure implies that the serial cable to use is a straight-though type (not a null modem type, or variation).

Oob

Oob

Sorry. OOB = Out-Of-Band managment. Basically means you don't have to administer your doohickie on the wire it's supposed to be working with.

Assuming you'v got the right cable( and that your firewall is at it's default settings), your Z. should be set like this:

1. Plug the female DB-9 end of the serial cable into the serial port of your
computer. (Be sure that the DB-9 clip is seated properly in the port.)
2. Plug the male DB-9 end of the serial cable into the Console port of the
NetScreen-5XT. (Be sure that the DB-9 is seated properly in the port.)
3. Launch a serial terminal program. (A commonly-used terminal program is
Hilgraeve HyperTerminal.) Typical settings to launch a console session with
your NetScreen-5XT are as follows:
• Baud Rate to 9600
• Parity to No
• Data Bits to 8
• Stop Bit to 1
• Flow Control to none
4. At the login prompt, type netscreen.
5. At the password prompt, type netscreen.

Quoted courtesy of the 5xt user manual.
Feel free to post any unclarities.
patscc

Back