• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Value of an HX-20?

grarap

Hey guys. I've just arrived home from a trip into my parent's attic and brought back a decent cache of old computers. Most are boring machines from the 90s, but two of them look interesting. One is a BBC Micro, which i remember fiddling around with ages ago and looks quite fun. The real prize (I hope!) is an Epson HX-20. It looks like one of those word processors they give special needs kids in primary school, but it appears to be extremely old. Mint condition though, and with a case, micro cassette player and printer.

I'm pretty happy that I found it, but I have no great attatchment to it. Any ideas on value? Or is the generic BBC Micro a better find :D?

They are both classic computers and have some value. Just how much, is up to the buyers on the likes of e-bay to determine. Prices can fluctuate wildly, but both are moderately collectable.

You don't say where you are, but if you are in North America the BBC would have more value there compared to Europe. They were quite common in the UK, and there seem to be a lot of used ones around.

Tez

Hmm, thanks for that reply. Dr. Wikipedia calls the Epson the worlds first laptop! Cool! But neither are worth more than £50 then? If that's the case then I may just keep them. Are both fun to play with?

I've bought HX-20s on e*ay for anywhere from $15.00 for five of 'em (3 with RealVoice units), up to $40.00, but others have paid even more. Usually they top out for under a yard note.

--T

It's not rare, but to get more than $30, show pics of it working/screen shots. Show a working battery, saving a program to tape, etc.

The px-4 is rarer and will sell for double what an HX sells for.

There are PX-8 accessories that are worth more than HX systems. (i.e. disk drives and cable)

bd

Last edited:
With some patience, my usual is around $25 per. Think my last package was 2 of them for about $50, I had to replace the nicad on one, the other nicad works! Amazing.

Of course, I have figured out that all of these early computers all use different frequencies for the tape data recording. One is not readable by any of the others (like a Nec or Tandy). Real pain because I have to keep the tapes separated by who recorded them now. So much for a common ascii basic library of programs. Not that that would work anyway as they all have different sized screens and handle graphics differently.

Back