• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro 2000

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
Top of my wishlist: Kaypro 2000 w/ external drive/tv adaptor.

Does anyone else here have a Kaypro 2000? What software can it run, will it run windows 1.0/2.0/3.0/3.1/wfw/deskmate? What version of MS-DOS does it use?

Curious.

The 2000 is XT-compatible, so runs whatever an XT w/256K will do. I don't have one anymore, but I've had a couple of 'em slip thru my hands. There's also an even rarer '286 version, if you can ever find one. The 8086 model also comes in about 3 different versions, the first upgrade having a larger, better screen. The next version was called, IIRC, 2000-II (or similar, my memory fails me), and had a few improvements, including 512K (640?). There's also an expansion unit with memory (up to 512K), and one ISA 8-bit slot. Good luck!

--T

The second one was called the Kaypro 2000+. I had a bigger screen (backlit, i think). So it's completely compatible with the PC/XT? Kewl.

The second one was called the Kaypro 2000+. I had a bigger screen (backlit, i think). So it's completely compatible with the PC/XT? Kewl.

As much as any other '100% compatible' of it's day. BTW, the K2K shipped with a program called 'PolyWindows', a windowed 'multi-tasker' (taskswitcher, actually). Not a bad lil' proggy for it's time (much nicer than the MS Windows version available then).

--T

Back