• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any Thinkpad collectors here?

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
Lately I have been collecting old 486 and Pentium 1 thinkpads (365c, 755c, 755cd, 760cd, 760el, 765l, 760ed) and was wondering if anybody else is too.

I've got a 500 and a 701CS.

Picked up the 500 on a whim at a flea market. Thought is was a nice size. Still do actually.

The 701CS is a rebuild. When I got it, it was working, but looked like the southbound end of a northbound mule. Found another unit that was totally inop for a donor and combined the 2 to get one pretty nice unit. Love that butterfly keyboard. Every so often I'll take it somewhere with me and when I open it up, people all around me turn around to look at it.

I'm not a "collector" but I do have a pile of dozen or so, as well as a few other makes.

Attachments

• 100_032.jpg
    100_032.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1
Old but Cool

Old but Cool

The old ThinkPads have some really AMAZING designs.The 701C is a masterpiece of engineering.I have some of the earlier ones as well.(380Z,760EL,350C,510Cs,701C)
cgrape2

Wow Mike. That's one heck of a gaggle of thinkpads. I gave a few away to some kids that their family was having trouble and figured they could tinker/learn or fix and sell them. I can't remember if I kept the subnotebook or not. I know I kept one or two for hardware testing systems.

What I'd love is a Thinkpad 800/820/850. I've rarely seen them come up but a portable AIX station :) what fun.

So far the 760 series is my favorite, which was the top of the line model. The 755's are also nice. Luckily I have 2 batteries that take a 2.5 hour charge so I can use them as a laptop and not a fancy desktop.

Finding a mint 701 is probably going to take a long time.

i wish my mom would let me collect computers :rolleyes:

all I have is a TP360CE... i want MORE!

Thinkpads are small and easy to stack. My 5 PS/2 towers take up more room then my 12 laptops (I also collect G3 wallstreets and have one Packard Bell 486 laptop I want to get rid of).

I have a 380D with Windows 95 OSR B that someone gave me. It's a nice machine, although it's a bit annoying that it requires an adapter (which I don't have) to use an external keyboard or a PS/2 mouse. It has a Pentium 166 MMX, a 2GB hard disk, and 24 MB of RAM. That should be more than enough memory to run Windows 95, yet it still keeps using the swap file. On the plus side, it boots in 15 seconds. My desktop Pentium (133 Mhz and non-MMX) takes over half a minute to boot Windows 98SE.

lol linuxlove, I and I'm sure a few other members remember those days. I couldn't just have any old thing I wanted but still managed to hold on to a good few. Later on when I was older it became less of an issue as long as I took care of them and had somewhere to put them.

But true, collecting portables has a great advantage space wise... especially as I look around my computer room right now and see the stacks of stuff right now (yeah it's pending clean up.. um.. tomorrow..).

I am collecting Thinkpads (and more broadly, any IBM products I can get my hands on, :p).. I don't have anything older than a P2/P3 era Thinkpad though. My favorites are my more modern R40 and this tiny one with a Celeron in it, can't remember it's model but it's just barely bigger than an EeePC..

I've got one, older but not vintage. It's a Thinkpad 365XD running Windows 95. Funny coincidence, haven't seen it in years but booted it up this afternoon and it still runs like new.

Bought it about ten years ago, as I recall, from a co-worker for fifty bucks. Used it in motels for a few years - our ISP had local numbers for all over the state - and then put it away. Used it mostly for internet browsing, downloading geocache coordinates and running the Garmin GPS software, interacting with a TI calculator, and playing a few games.

I have some interesting, but probably not rare, accessories for it too. Port replicator, docking station, and a dial-up PCMCIA modem.

The 365XD is a Pentium 1, kind of old.

I added a 760XD recently and have another coming in the mail soon. Sooner or later after some playing around I will decide which ones I like the most and maybe sell off the rest.

It is nice having working batteries for them (think I have 3 that work for 2 hours) and a couple that have some charge (20-30 minutes).

Back