• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Request: Chicony NB5625

jomik

Hello. I found an abandoned laptop at the trolley stop while commuting home yesterday. I've googled it but can't find any information what so ever, allthough there appears to be plenty of spare batteries...

This is what I got:
Chicony
model: NB5625

Well, that's it. Judging from the appearance of the computer (no touchpad, screen considerably smaller than could fit in the lid, parallell ports) I'd guess it's from the early '90s... but heck, what do I know?

I haven't tested it yet but it looks solid. What I'm most concerned about is that there's an empty, unlabeled quick-release socket under an easy-access flipdoor in the base of the computer. It sure looks like it's missing the BIOS chip, but I dunno why anyone would need easy physical access to BIOS like that... guess things were a bit different back then?

Any information that could point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Cheers
/j.

Here's what I could find:

386 CPU, 4MB RAM, 81MB hard disk, Cirrus Stingray 4+ graphics chipset (VGA), LPT, 2xCOM ports, external VGA connector.

It could be that the extra socket is for an 80287/387 NPU.

There's an outfit, PCHub, that seems to carry replacement parts for your Chicony.

Back