• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

486 laptop - networking?

tingo

Veteran Member
I found a NCR 3150 laptop in my stash today. The machine has MS-DOS 6.22 (and Windows 3.1) on its hard drive.
It alo has a PCMCIA slot.
Can I just put any network card into that slot (assuming I can find drivers and so on for it?)

How do I set up networking in this environment?
Do I have to do it in DOS (confog.sys and autoexec.bat), or in Win 3.1?

Man, it has been far too many years since I touched old operating systems like this. I can only remember the most basic things.

If you can't find a PCMCIA card that will work, try a Xircom PE3-10BT parallel port Ethernet adapter. It will run off the parallel port of the laptop. It's pretty well supported.

Networking - this will give you a little background:

http://brutman.com/Dos_Networking/

Mike

Can I just put any network card into that slot (assuming I can find drivers and so on for it?)

It's not that simple. Wikipedia gives a pretty good explanation of all the different variations of PCMCIA, but basically the main thing to remember is that you'll be looking for a 16-bit card. They're not all that hard to find if you know what to look for... there should be plenty on eBay that'll work.

And once you can find a proper type of card with driver support, networking should be pretty easy. I know in WFWG 3.1/3.11, you pretty much just install the Winsock package, set up the LAN card, set it for DHCP, and you'll be on your way without much fuss.

I have 486 laptops and networking is easy in DOS or Win3. Look for 16 bit PCMCIA which look different then 32 bit cardbus (they tend to have a copper strip at the end with bumps). 16 bit PCMCIA are 5V and 32bit are 3.3V, so look for that.

All 16 bit cards have Win3 drivers available, same with DOS. For DOS you will need some software to enable PCMCIA support and then some drivers for packet drivers, Win3x is a little easier since the installers tend to do all the work.

It's not that simple. Wikipedia gives a pretty good explanation of all the different variations of PCMCIA, but basically the main thing to remember is that you'll be looking for a 16-bit card.
Yes, I know about 16-bit and CardBus. Sorry for ot making that clear. I disn't think that a machine as old as this would accept CardBus cards at all.

And once you can find a proper type of card with driver support, networking should be pretty easy.
Well, I've got two cards, both from Billionton. One is a LNA-100B3, the other a LNTC-10T2B, and I am currently looking for drivers. Billionton says that packet drivers (should) exist, but so far I haven't found any on their pages.

Drivers found

Drivers found

Ok, I found the drivers for the LNT-10 card.
My config.sys now looks like this:
Code:
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM c:\ /P /E:2048
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=B000-B7FF X=D000-DFFF 
DEVICEhigh=C:\NCRNB\PCMCIA\PCMSS.EXE /S0=1
DEVICEhigh=C:\NCRNB\PCMCIA\PCMCS.EXE /WAIT=12 /ADDR=D8 /IRQ=11 /FLASH 
DEVICEhigh=C:\NCRNB\PCMCIA\PCMSCD.EXE /BEEP
DEVICE=C:\NET\LNT\ENABLE.EXE
FILES=50
STACKS=9,256
COUNTRY=047,865,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
device=C:\fx\fxlink.exe
LASTDRIVE=Z

Details follows.
Socket Services, Card Services and Super Client Driver:
Code:
DEVICEhigh=C:\NCRNB\PCMCIA\PCMSS.EXE /S0=1
DEVICEhigh=C:\NCRNB\PCMCIA\PCMCS.EXE /WAIT=12 /ADDR=D8 /IRQ=11 /FLASH 
DEVICEhigh=C:\NCRNB\PCMCIA\PCMSCD.EXE /BEEP
LNT-10 client driver (For DOS and Windows 3.1 Only)
Code:
DEVICE=C:\NET\LNT\ENABLE.EXE

And I have a packet driver in c:\net\lnt\cardpd.com - I guess I can't load that in config.sys? Should I load it in autoexec.bat?

But - what now? How do I configure the card to use DHCP? Where do I find network programs for Win 3.1? Like ftp, telnet (is there a ssh / scp client for Win 3.1?)

Last edited:
Dunno about that specifically, but why not just update it to 3.11 anyway? There's not much reason to stick with plain 3.1, and the 3.11 update package can be found fairly easily.

Back