• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epson HX-20,Display Fade

cgrape2

Experienced Member
In an earlier thread,I got help with getting a proper PS for my HX-20.It worked just fine on the 8hr.charge,once.Now it only has a display for about 2 minutes,then the display fades....The printer still feeds paper,but no display.
I've tried to do a recharge with no change.I took the battery pack out and volt tested it,4.8V is what it's supposed to be,so that appears to be working.Checked the fuse on the circut board,it's good.
What am I missing?
Have I stupidly killed again?
cgrape2(feeling dull):(

Last edited:
According to page 69 of the HX-20 Operations Manual:
Operation = 4.5 to 6.0 V
Low Voltage = 4.5 V

Within the specified operating range of 4.5-6V, your "4.8V is what it's supposed to be" sounds low. Note that I'm not saying that after 8 hours of charging that your battery pack should be at 6V. If one considers that a NiCad cell normally measures about 1.3V (disconnected) after a full charge, then perhaps 5.2V (with battery disconnected) is what you should be expecting. I think you need to find someone with a HX-20 that can tell you what the 'normal' after-charge voltage is.

Update!

Update!

Update!
I rebuilt my battery pack,just in case I had done it wrong the first time.I'm using 4 sub-c batteries with solder tabs attached.When I opened it up I noticed one of the tabs had popped off.I'm no whiz at resoldering so I just used friction to force the solder pad to touch the battery.(Sounds getto,but it was all I could think of).Then I recharged the battery for 8 hours using an "Official"Epson PS.
Now I do get a display for longer than 2 minutes,but it's still faint.Is that the fault of my non-solid solder pad?
Ideas?Thanks!
cgrape2

Back