• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Psion 5mx - Help Required

Raven

Veteran Member
Roughly half of the software that I try to run on my Psion errors immediately when executed. I have read around and discovered that a possible cause was that I was running them from a 256MB PNY CF card. I tried installing some of the problem applications to the internal NAND and they errored exactly the same way.

Most recently I tried to get mp3s playing on my Psion, and the tools I had available for this were AudioPlayer 1.31 and EPlayM 2.03 w/ 1.10 engine. AudioPlayer is a trial version. It would not launch at all. EPlayM does some sort of file association deal, but whenever I try to click on an mp3 file it crashes with the error:

Program Closed
---------------
Program EPlayM
Reason code KERN-EXEC
Reason number 3

Similar (but varying reason number and reason) errors pop up upon trying to run all sorts of apps. At first I chocked it up to bad programming, but everybody who wants to play mp3s on these things uses EPlayM so I know it's not the software this time.

Anybody know? I haven't had my Psion for terribly long, a few months, and this issue has stopped me from using it much of that time.

Edit: Possibly worth noting is that I install software by copying the .SIS files to the CF card, and then running them to install it directly on the device. I don't have a sync cable (trying to get one though).

Edit 2: I realized that there may be updates to the EPOC OS on the device, I have version 1.01.. no idea where to get new ones since the original PSION company is dead.

Edit 3: I just also realized (dunno HOW I missed this one) that I don't have a 5mx, but a plain Psion Series 5.

Last edited:
Back