• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PCMCIA Socket Services for DOS

glitch

Veteran Member
In getting my Gateway HandBook back up to operating condition, I discovered that the socket services package Gateway hosts is generic enough to work at least with other 486 laptops:

PCMCIA Socket Services for HandBook 486

I confirmed this with a Zenith Z-Star EX laptop I was using to prep the CF disk for use in the HandBook (no external floppy for the HandBook, so I have to load software using a different computer). I suspect it will work at least with all supported PCMCIA chipsets, possibly with CardBus chipsets too. One problem I ran in to was that the installer wants its root directory to be the A: drive, so I uses a SUBST to fool it into thinking it was using A:.

Using this package avoids the legal gray area around the Phoenix generic card services, which may still be copyrighted, and are difficult to find in any case. I haven't tried anything else, but a generic SD -> PCMCIA and SanDisk CF -> PCMCIA adapters worked fine and were mapped as DOS-accessible drives. Use the card services' formatter utility if you have a non-DOS formatted memory card you want to use with DOS.

The IBM ThinkPad ones also work with many other laptops - I used them on my Dell Latitude CP at one point. There are some sets that won't work with the IBM ones but will work with the Phoenix, though..

Back