• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Paper for IBM 5140 Convertible printer

strollin

Experienced Member
I have an IBM 5140 Convertible with the attached printer. Does anyone know of a source for the thermal paper for this printer?

(Oops! Should have posted this in the Items wanted category. Sorry.)

Last edited:
Be careful - I don't think it is a thermal printer. Mine has ribbons.

From http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/5140/5140.html#5140_Printer:

"Attaches to the back of the system unit, or to an optional printer attachment cable for adjacent printer operation. It is an intelligent cpu-based, 40 cps (burst rate) serial, non-impact dot matrix design capable of low power operation. It draws its power and control from the system unit. Standard ASCII 96-character, upper-case and lower-case character sets are printed using a high-resolution, 24-element print head. An all-points-addressable (APA) print mode for graphics is also provided. NLQ printing can be accomplished using either a thermal transfer ribbon on smooth (60 Sheffield units, maximum) paper, or no ribbon on heat-sensitive thermal paper. Draft-quality printing may be achieved using the thermal transfer ribbon on IBM Multi-System Paper (P/N 7034548) or equivalent."

So it does both .. I'd go for normal thermal paper used on older FAX machines.

Regardless, if you want to save your printout for more than a few months/years, photocopy it to something more permanent. I've got bundles of FAXes printed on thermal paper 10 years ago that are perfectly illegible. I wouldn't expect the thermal transfer ribbon to be much better.

Regardless, if you want to save your printout for more than a few months/years, photocopy it to something more permanent. I've got bundles of FAXes printed on thermal paper 10 years ago that are perfectly illegible. I wouldn't expect the thermal transfer ribbon to be much better.
Actually printing done with transfer ribbons lasts fairly well as long as suitable paper was used, but if you're really concerned then make a photocopy.

http://communication.howstuffworks.com/thermal-fax-machine4.htm

I'm still looking for a FAX machine that chisels the image into granite slabs... :)
Might be easier as a separate operation; instead of photocopying, scan the FAX and drive a small CNC milling machine,or even a flatbed plotter with a diamond-tipped Dremel tool in the pen holder.

BTW, back on topic: if the FAX paper roll is too wide and has to be shortened, a good tip is to tighten a hose clamp around it in the right place as a guide for the saw.

Back