• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can't get an Omnigo 100 to connect to my PC

TanruNomad

Veteran Member
Ok, so I have the omnigo and the proper serial cable to connect to a pc, but when I run the Omnigo Install Manager and attempt to connect to it, it says "was not able to locate an Omnigo on any available port" What gives? I should mention it automatically tries to connect to COM03 and I have no idea which COM my serial port is.

2nd issue: I have Omnicom which is a more advanced and faster connectivity program for omnigo to pc's. When I run it, it says "Omnicom expects an environment variable called OCTTY." Thats followed by a message asking me to enter a port number (1 or 2 are my only options). Once I enter it, it asks for a baud rate (2400, 9600, and 19200 are my only options). I tried combinations of all of these and the result is always the same:
"The system cannot open COM1 port (or COM2 if thats what I chose)

Im running windows 2000XP on a Dell D610

Have you verified that your com port is enabled in the BIOS? For whatever reason a lot of them are disabled by default with newer vendor computers. Your physical serial port will probably be com1, that's the 9 pin port on the back of your computer (just incase you have it plugged into your parallel port some how). com3 is a virtual com port that plug and prey Windows loves to use.

Does the Omnigo also need to be in a terminal/sync mode? A lot of those devices aren't readily waiting for a connection unless they're told to listen, although I would check to confirm that your com ports are enabled first, then in control panel you can force them to one of those speeds as well prior to running your omnigo software.

- John

Thanks for your help. I verified the BIOS settings and they look good. I tried to run the omnicom program from DOSbox and it doesnt give the error message anymore, but it does say "device not connected" Do you think the cable is no good? I know it's the right one (f1015a serial cable), but maybe its gone bad? Or do you think windows 2000XP is still interfering somehow and i need to run the program in windows 95?

I would guess that dosbox may be your problem there, but I'm not 100%. I've never really used dosbox much more than testing a game or two so I don't know that it emulates or passes serial traffic properly.

You don't happen to have anything else to test the com port with do you? You can always try opening up hyperterminal, telling it to open com1 (and set the properties of com1 first), check box the detect carrier then press enter and see if you get anything. 2000/XP can still use the serial ports fine, the software on the other hand may be using some legacy type of connection that's being denied. I would still be focusing on a configuration issue not a cable or bad hardware, alternatively if you have an older system and OS you could try that too.

I think com port works because Im able to use my Palm Vx and connect it to that same serial port (with a different cable) and it transfers data fine. It may very well be the software.

Update: Was able to get a DOS connectivity program to work! Thank goodness for Omnicom, the other programs arent compatable with windows 2000XP

Glad you managed it! Yeah, I was going to tell you that Windows was your problem here. I ran into the same thing with mine, though Win2K didn't come out until later. I was on Win3.11/DOS when I got it, a later corporate "upgrade" cut me off.

Omnigo in action

Omnigo in action

For those interested, here's a video recording of my Omnigo in action. I'm so glad I was able to get the transfer program working so I can finally load up the little guy with some fun applications. Thanks for all your help.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABkfoD0SmAk

Last edited:
Back