• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epson HX-20, Menu Error, (shows only one option)

guiller

Hi Friends, this is my first Post:

First, sorry for my english, I write from Spain. And thank you very much everyone for being here and help. This is a great forum.
I have read a lot in this Forum and I am sure someone can help a little.
My problem is:
When I turn on my HX-20, appears only in the main menu option. Option 1, 1-MONITOR.
The BASIC option has disappeared.
And the option to reset the memory (CRTL / @) is not responding.
I think it's a problem with a ROM chip, but I can not find no information on the Internet.

Please, someone knows this problem?. and .... Is it possible to backup the ROM on a computer that works properly, in order to replace these chips?.

Thank you very much everybody.
Guillermo

Turn the system upside down, remove the ROM cover and lift the shielding flap. You will see the 4 BASIC ROMS. Maybe one of these is loose? If so, carefully re-seat these chips, or at least press them firmly into their slots. See if that helps.
bd

Do you know if the keyboard is working? They are connected to the mainboard with a ribbon. Such things do get brittle.

I'm thinking that maybe it needs a reset but it doesn't respond to CTLR/@ because the key presses aren't registering?

Tez

Epson HX-20, ROM problem.

Epson HX-20, ROM problem.

Hi friends
Thank you very much for your help. Well ...
I can tell you that the keyboard responds well to all the keys.
I disconnected the four ROM chips and I put back in place.
The problem remains the same.
These days I'll do some photos and explain better.

I am thinking of buying another HX-20 to make a copy of the ROM (dumping).
O. .. does anyone know where I can find this information?.

Thanks and best regards.
Guille

The Epson has come to life

The Epson has come to life

Hello again Friends: billdeg, tezza and fjkraan

With your help my Epson HX-20 has returned to life. :)

Bildeg, Indeed one of the ROMs was broken.

Tezza, You also were right. I thought the keyboard working properly because it could show all the keys on the small screen but ... the CTRL key was not working well. I have changed my old keyboard (German) by another computer keyboard (English). Your website is extremely interesting and I'm sure you can help me with a NCR is a bit angry with me:)

fjkraan, I saw your page when I was looking for information on the Epson ROMs, but I did not see at that time your data and files. HEX.
I have been able to get my Epson also with that information.

Once again sorry for my bad English. When I have any questions, I use the Google translator and sometimes I can not express properly.

Finally here you can see some photos from my Epson HX-20 and other computers that I have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50322765@N04/sets/72157625035554208/

Many thanks for your help and Best Regards.
Guille (Izham_gb94)

Good work, Guille! All this talk made me break out my HX-20, and lo and behold, the battery was still charged from a YEAR ago! I guess I rebuilt it right :)

Back