• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable II onboard RAM Upgrade, is it possible?

RWallmow

Veteran Member
Is is possible to upgrade the ram onboard on a Portable II (larger chips or some kind of daughter card)? Or would the only option be an ISA solution like an AST Rampage, Quadram, or the like? I really don't want to have to give up one of my ISA cards just to get past 640k. I really don't need much more, just want to get to over 1mb, so I can run the MS Network client AND windows at the same time, maybe even throw some TCP/IP into the mix.

There's a socket on the underside of the motherboard for a memory expansion daughterboard. The question is where you'd find a suitable daughterboard.

There's a socket on the underside of the motherboard for a memory expansion daughterboard. The question is where you'd find a suitable daughterboard.

Now knowing it was possible I did some searching and came across a part number, and amazingly some companies still stock the part (104176-001 for 512/1536kb upgrade), however cheapest is about $45 which seems high for 25 year old part, but it may come to that if I dont find something cheaper.

Back