• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tablet PCs,How Old Can We Go?

cgrape2

Experienced Member
I have become curious lately about the various Handhelds and early Tablets that are still around.I have a couple of functional ones (Compaq Concerto,Dauphin,Epson)and know that I am not alone in being interested in them.
So,an open question and perhaps leading to some model specific discussions.
It's nice to be back!
cgrape2

Also IBM 710T, 730T, and 730TE (the 'T' denotes it is a tablet system)...

CPUs are in the 486-class, with RAM from 4 to 20MB, typically notebook IDE drives of a few hundred megabyte average, monochrome LCD screen...

The 730TE was an Intel 100mhz DX4. For the time it was really fast.
I beleive the GRiD 2260 was either a fast 386 or a slow 486. I'll have to look it up.

Edit: Yeah, it was a 386. the 2270 was a 486.

Last edited:
The 730TE was a[n Intel] 100mhz DX4...

Correct, this level of IBM tablets apparently used Intel CPUs, not their own. The older 700T (unmentioned by me before) was a 386SX-20, the 710T a 486SL-25, and the 730T (non-'E') was a 486SX-33. Many of the features were of course shared with notebooks of the same Thinkpad name and level.

Oh,yes I had forgotten about the IBM 700s.I have owned several of the 730T and they were nice(Tho monochrome)for their era.I recall that they were a challenge to get running if the PCMCIA HD was missing.
Thanks for the replies and the brain jog!
cgrape2

That's pretty cool. Were it not for the monochrome and the 4MB (mostly the 4MB, presuming it's not expandable) it'd make a cool portable 486 for gaming purposes.

...I had forgotten about the IBM 700s...

In reality they would be the 7x0T[x]. Other numerous 700-class Thinkpads were not tablets. I gave the specifications so that the "vintage" classification could be more easily decided.

...I recall that they were a challenge to get running if the PCMCIA HD was missing...

Or even a challenge in some cases if it is there: With the pre-installed "PenPoint" OS, you truly had to "sign on". Try hacking that sometime.

Well, there's the 1989-release GRiDpad 1910, with a V20 CPU, 2 MB max RAM, and a 20 MB hard drive... (GRiD is also generally credited with creating the first clamshell-style notebook computer.)

The SuperSport Line is definitely an early clam shell design.It may well be the earliest.
Zenith Portables are interesting and fun to mess with.(Sigh)I have to say that I'm a fan of them too.
However,we are reminiscing about early Tablet PCs.That would also include the Epson 386 Handheld PCs.
cgrape2

GRiD is also generally credited with creating the first clamshell-style notebook computer

This is a situation where "generally" is a euphemism for "foolishly".

Many reasons for this....
1. The original Grid (Compass 1100/1101) had no battery. It needed 110V. By my definition, which is the correct one :D, a computer is only a notebook/laptop if it's got battery power. Being lap-SIZED is a different story. Thus, the Compass could be thought of as the pinnacle of (to use the period-appropriate term) "transportable" computers; or "luggables" in common terms -- i.e. an all-in-one computer that was very small but had to be plugged in.
2. I don't personally feel that having a folding screen is part of the definition of notebook/laptop. Unlike battery power, which is a vital aspect of mobility, the screen's industrial casing is just form -- not function. So, that in turn means the Husky computer (81) beat Grid to market by a year -- and that Casio, Epson, Grundy, and Teleram were all equal peers in 1982.
3. On the clamshell front, the first generation of such portables was 1983 -- Dulmont, Gavilan, MicroOffice, and Sharp (I put these in alphabetical order; none are "first".)
4. Grid itself didn't offer a computer with a battery option until .... well I'm not exactly sure, but it was sometime in the mid-80s.

So, let's summarize:
1. Husky (1981) = notebook/laptop (neither term was actually in use back then.)
2. Grid (1982) = first lap-SIZED computer with a clamshell screen, but its lack of battery power made it NOT a notebook/laptop.
3. Various companies (1983), but still not Grid, innovated with battery-powered clamshells.
4. Toshiba (1985) says they "invented" the laptop .... dummies.

Unfortunately the idea of "Grid = first laptop" is widespread and incorrect. It's as problematic as saying "Columbus discovered America".

Also: I highly recommend a book called "1491" which describes the many (many, many!) people who were here and laughing at mainland Europeans' stupidity. ("What took you so long? We've been waiting...")

Also, also: Grid innovated in plenty of other ways, mostly their software and ruggedness. Therefore it's still important to recognize what Grid * did * accomplish. It just wasn't a notebook/laptop.

As for the history of * tablets * -- that's a whole different thing from what I wrote above. If you think my opinion about the Grid/battery issue is controversial, wait'll you hear my opinion about tablet history. :D Alas, I'm not going to share that at this time, for various reasons.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Evan, but I want to know which company tried to market the "thightop" first...

Back