• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

200LX and DOS programs..?

Abbub

Experienced Member
Hrm...
I just formatted a 32 MB CF card and stuck it in my HP LX200 Palmtop. Then I moved the CF card over to my Win7 box and copied dnd.exe and rogue.exe over to the CF card. Moving the CF card back onto the palmtop, I can see the files, but when I try to run either of them, I get 'Cannot execute A:\GAMES\ROGUE.EXE' (or similar for the other game.)

I'm pretty sure that I started playing both of these games 30 years ago on a XT, so I'd think they'd work.

Suggestions? What'd I screw up?

Make sure the filesystem didn't get marked read-only. Also check attributes on files. Make sure you've given DOS enough memory. Go to DOS mode to run them rather than running them under the GUI until you've got a proper file to start them with that sets up DOS properly for them under the application manager.

Those are what come to mind offhand.

I play rogue on my LX, I haven't tried dnd. The LX is good for a lot of CGA and text games, though sometimes it's necessary to adjust the contrast between each one to see all the colors as different shades.

Another foo factor: Some pgms don't want to run from what they perceive
as a floppy drive.

You can redirect A: to E: in your autoexec.bat <assign e: a:>, or try install-
ing & running the pgm in e: drive.

Often closing the App Manager [Menu] [A] [T] and running the pgm from DOS
(Not the DOS app in the App manager!) will suffice.

(This is all straight out of the User's Guide...)

Jack

Terminating all of the other apps fixed the problem on both issues. I'm confused, though... I thought DOS has an 'Out of Memory' error? I'm not really sure what the 'Could not execute' error is supposed to be telling me. It's a pretty useless message though. Anyway, Rogue on my 200LX and all is well in the world...well, in my little portion of the world, anyway.

Jack: I'll have to grab a PDF of the User's Guide. At this point I have nothing but the unit itself.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks, Jack! I had already found the user's guide, but that FAQ is great! It actually answered one of the questions I had about whether or not I could set it up to charge my NiMH batteries.

The FAQ indicates that 'newer' NiMH batteries will take a charge (without blowing up!) from the unit if you set the battery type to NiCad and turn on charging. I've got 'newer' Duracell DX1500 NiMH rechargeable batteries in mine. Does any one have an experience with this?

Abbub -

Check out the ABC/LX battery charging app in the "SUPER" repository.

I've had excellent results with Sanyo "Eneloop" NiMH 2000 mAH, using an external
charger (Maha -9000).

Overcharging NiMH even a little results in permanent loss
of capacity. The Palmtop does not sense full-charge - It's strictly a timer, so
so use the charging feature with caution.

One nice feature of ABC/LX is it displays battery voltage in the F1 function display,
in lieu of what's normally there - "Help", which still works normally.

Jack

Back