• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

200 LX Cannot launch Filer on XP

wilbye999

Hope someone can give me a clue.
Used to work without problems.
Launch APP200 - OK.
All the apps except filer work, it starts up then quits again.
Thanks JW

I'll be honest I'm not that familiar with the line but you say it used to work fine? Did it work fine with XP prior to something new being installed? Is this the backup/transfer utility? Have you tried playing with the compatibility mode for that application? (Right click the exe you're running and select properties, there will be a tab "Compatibility Mode" (I think) and you can try selecting an older operating system like 2000 and see if it runs that way). I'm sure you've already found your way to hp's 200lx site but they may have removed useful answers and gone with the "no support" response.

Tried those things

Tried those things

I'll be honest I'm not that familiar with the line but you say it used to work fine? Did it work fine with XP prior to something new being installed? Is this the backup/transfer utility? Have you tried playing with the compatibility mode for that application? (Right click the exe you're running and select properties, there will be a tab "Compatibility Mode" (I think) and you can try selecting an older operating system like 2000 and see if it runs that way). I'm sure you've already found your way to hp's 200lx site but they may have removed useful answers and gone with the "no support" response.

Thanks for the comments.
I can only think one of the updates to XP has killed it. I tried the different compatibility modes, and I moved the directory to the root instead of my program files folder. I have the transfile programme but I would like to work out why only filer is just refusing to start. I suspect it's something to do with laplink but the autoexec.bat and config.sys files are being written by the install. I could try a full XP restore from backups but that is always a bit of a pain. I could be missing a dll?

I certainly would think a XP restore would be overkill, might depend how desperate you are though. A dll suddenly missing isn't very common although I suppose that could cause a program to start and stop immediately. Are there any errors in your event viewer Application area around the time that you run the program? I've never used this program (I was only searching around for something from Sysinternals, etc) but there is an app called Dependency Walker that perhaps would show you what files are needed for this program to run.

You could also (if you're really bored) try running the program in a debugger (ollydbg is a free debug program for Windows that can step through a program, but this gets into assembly code and trying to really interpret why the application failed can be difficult.

Some basics though, you said other apps work ok? Can you successfully do a hyperterm/terminal session to the 200LX and see yourself typign to confirm those connections are ok? Have you run the command from the command line just to see if it's giving any output before it quits?

Might be worth re-installing CPACK200, before pulling the plug on XP. FWIW, Transfile is much faster,
at least on my W7 netbook. Have'nt tried it on XP yet.

If you're looking for backup speed though, a card reader is the way to go.

Jack

Back