• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

free means of getting images on a Palm m515 or lower?

neutrino78x

Experienced Member
So, is there a free, preferably open source, means of getting images onto a Palm m515 or earlier (Palm OS 4.1)?

If it can be done with Linux, all the better, since hotsync is not working in Windows XP for whatever reason.

--Brian

In other words, I would want to take a JPEG image, convert it to palm format somehow, and then put it on the Palm during hotsync (or palm-xfer on unix).

It depends. Where you just looking for a viewer or editor? And what image formats are required? Just jpeg? I have quite a few palms... original palms to sony clie's to a TX and a Centro Phone.

For handhelds before os5, not much freeware wise...
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/7022/oldcontents/vfsi.htm
Try that out, problem is it does not do jpeg unless you own a clie or palm w/ camera. It will however support bmps.

pilot-link should work on PalmOS 4.1. www.pilot-link.org
It talks the hotsync protocol. I've used it to backup and restore my own Palm devices. That was PalmOS 5.1 but pilot-link should work with older devices too. And it runs on Linux, as the OP requested (and comes included in some distros too).

-Tor

pilot-link should work on PalmOS 4.1. www.pilot-link.org
It talks the hotsync protocol. I've used it to backup and restore my own Palm devices. That was PalmOS 5.1 but pilot-link should work with older devices too. And it runs on Linux, as the OP requested (and comes included in some distros too).

-Tor

I have pilot-link; that's where pilot-xfer is from. However, from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer images with that to the Palm? On Palm 4.x?

--Brian

I have pilot-link; that's where pilot-xfer is from. However, from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer images with that to the Palm? On Palm 4.x?
I'm getting rusty on Palm.. I still use mine, but I don't install anything anymore. I had forgotten the database concept there for a moment.. so your image file would have to be converted to a .pdb before you could transfer it via pilot-xfer (with -r), or you would need a conduit. What's probably easiest then is going the SD route, as suggested by twolazy.

-Tor

Back