• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba satellite pro 430cdt

gimpy252

I got this unit from my son in law and I would like to set it up on a wireless network. It has a Pentium 120 and a 1.2 gig hard drive and Windows95 and 2 open PCMCIA slots. Can I use just any old wireless PCMCIA card or dose it have to be specific to this machine?
Thanks in advance
Tim

PCMCIA cards are standardized, but there is more than one type. Older machines use a 16-bit standard, while more recent ones use a 32-bit standard known as "CardBus". I'm not sure which type your 120MHz laptop has, could be either one, given it's age. If you don't know for sure, your best bet is to find an older card that is 16-bit, as it will work in a 16- or 32-bit slot. My personal recomendation is a Cisco 340, since I know that they are compatible with the older hardware. I use one daily, and just bought a second one two days ago on eBay. It cost me $14.00 + 8.00 for shipping. If you search eBay for "Cisco 340" you should be able to find one for around that same price too.

--T

Toshiba still has all the specs for that laptop on their site. Go to toshiba.com and dig around. It takes some clicking to get through their pages, but it's there in a nice pdf format. Lots of downloads and drivers and stuff should you need it. I have a 460CDT and love it. Hope you will too. Mine has 32-bit slots. Watch out for huge package programs, and also for win95 compatability.

And if it is indeed 16-bit, I found a company that makes them, though it's a little bit pricey compared to Terry's number:

http://vintage-computer.com/vcforum/viewtopic.php?t=2299&highlight=laptop+wireless

I posted that a while back. Good luck!

Thanks for the help. As soon as I get a the floppy drive I bought on ebay I'm going to upgrade to windows 98. I've been to the Toshiba site and downloaded the users manual, you're right there is a lot of good stuff in there. :D
Thanks again
Tim

Gimpy,
Have you had luck with your laptop? Since this thread was started in Jan06, and got a recent bump, how about an update? I love hearing about networking projects. :)

OK its an old thread but........ I just bought a Toshiba 430cdt on ebay for $36.00 AUD (including postage) with -
Windows 95,
1.26Gb Hd,
48 Mb Ram,
What I want it for is mapping (mainly) as in when I go 4wding/fishing/camping, like Oziexplorer or Navig8or systems. How big can you go with the Hd in one of these or for that matter all memory types? :confused: :)
Thanks

PCMCIA cards are standardized, but there is more than one type. Older machines use a 16-bit standard, while more recent ones use a 32-bit standard known as "CardBus". I'm not sure which type your 120MHz laptop has, could be either one, given it's age. If you don't know for sure, your best bet is to find an older card that is 16-bit, as it will work in a 16- or 32-bit slot. My personal recomendation is a Cisco 340, since I know that they are compatible with the older hardware. I use one daily, and just bought a second one two days ago on eBay. It cost me $14.00 + 8.00 for shipping. If you search eBay for "Cisco 340" you should be able to find one for around that same price too.
--T

I was somewhat amazed to find this while surfing the net at work this week. Earlier that day I had been on the phone with Toshiba tech support to ask about recycling my Toshiba Satellite Pro 435CDT.
To my surprise the Tech Support Rep told me that these days more people elect to upgrade the hard drive: "There is a capacity for a much bigger hard drive." He said that and gave me references for two businesses who do this (one in NYC called "Man and Machine" at 212/791-4888 and one in Oxnard, Cali called "Entre Ventura" at 805-981-9186).

My old Sat Pro works still, I put in a new battery last year and took it out to the West Coast to my Dad's in case my nephew needed a back-up for school work (which he did not). I do not need it as I have a 2006 Toshiba Satellite (and a MacBook) and do not need three computers.

I will make a post about it in the proper fora threads in case anyone might be interested in it.
I do not have the specs with me, but I will be on the West Coast in December and would be happy to sell it for whatever someone might offer for it (not expecting that to be a high offer :p but it beats putting it on a junkpile when someone can get some use!) plus shipping.

Last edited:
Back