• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just got a HP 100LX 1MB

RWallmow

Veteran Member
Just got a 100LX, wondering if anyone has any useful tips for it? I plan on getting a flash card for it to store some files and attempt a Windows 3.0 install for $hits&giggles to see what happens, and then load some of my favorite basic text and CGA DOS games.

EDIT: Got some photos here now

Last edited:
Congrats on the score! The 100LX is a really nifty little machine.

Don't know if I'd recommend a Windows 3.0 install or not. I did it on a couple of cga machines and it is not that attractive or usable. But then, it's your machine!

Enjoy.

Congrats on the score! The 100LX is a really nifty little machine.

Don't know if I'd recommend a Windows 3.0 install or not. I did it on a couple of cga machines and it is not that attractive or usable. But then, it's your machine!

Enjoy.
Thanks,

Yeah, the Windows 3.0 install is just to say I've done it, nothing more, Windows 3.0 is pretty useless, I have it on a few other PCs like my PS/2-25 (pretty close spec wise to the 100LX, except MCGA) and Compaq Portable II (286 with CGA) and there's not much you can do with it in real-mode, my opinion Windows didn't become really usable till 3.1 on 386 or better when it started supporting 32-bit disk access and virtual memory. It's really just installed on my machines because I could, most these old devices I run raw DOS apps and such.

I have installed win 3.0 in my 200lx and even if it is pretty useless is a lot of fun seeing an old and so small machine like this running windows..I also used a serial mouse(with the mouse being..bigger than the 200lx itself).Another thing you can do is play old dos games (prince of persia plays fine as commander keen4-cga version).

I have installed win 3.0 in my 200lx and even if it is pretty useless is a lot of fun seeing an old and so small machine like this running windows..I also used a serial mouse(with the mouse being..bigger than the 200lx itself).Another thing you can do is play old dos games (prince of persia plays fine as commander keen4-cga version).
Yeah, Keen was on my short list, also will be buying the serial cable once I can find one for the right price, I can use it for double duty, mouse port for Win3.0 and null modem to my desktop. I already have an older Sandisk 32mb CF card on the way, I used to have a bunch of sub-64mb CF cards from my first 810kp (yes not even 1mp) digi-cam back in the day, but I think they all got tossed years ago, I figure the 32mb sandisk should be no problem to get it working on this, then I can fill it with some good DOS games and Win3.0.

Congratulations on your HP-100LX. It's a great unit. I've had both the 95LX and the 200LX. Still have the 200LX. Compact Flash will work great on it. I've used up to 256MB, but find that the larger cards take a performance hit when opening the Filer to view and work with the files.

There are some full size PCPMCIA memory cards out there that will work great also. They usually are small in size though. Be careful with the full size - make sure they are 5v and not 10v. The IBM cards were 10V and while they did work, they would drop the battery voltage on access and give you the low main battery warning.

As to batteries, I recommend using the Everyready Lithium AA batteries. While they cost more, they really last a long time.

Be sure to check out the programs on the Supersite mentioned above.

If you want to speed up the file access, you can use PCPMCIA Ram Cards. These are battery backed cards and the access is faster than to a CF card. But they only come in sizes up to 4mb and are fairly expensive, assuming you can find any.

Have fun with your new toy.

Bill

Congratulations on your HP-100LX. It's a great unit. I've had both the 95LX and the 200LX. Still have the 200LX. Compact Flash will work great on it. I've used up to 256MB, but find that the larger cards take a performance hit when opening the Filer to view and work with the files.

There are some full size PCPMCIA memory cards out there that will work great also. They usually are small in size though. Be careful with the full size - make sure they are 5v and not 10v. The IBM cards were 10V and while they did work, they would drop the battery voltage on access and give you the low main battery warning.

As to batteries, I recommend using the Everyready Lithium AA batteries. While they cost more, they really last a long time.

Be sure to check out the programs on the Supersite mentioned above.

If you want to speed up the file access, you can use PCPMCIA Ram Cards. These are battery backed cards and the access is faster than to a CF card. But they only come in sizes up to 4mb and are fairly expensive, assuming you can find any.

Have fun with your new toy.

Bill
Yeah, I am excited about it. I have looked at some SRAM and full size PCMCIA Flash cards, but for the cost I am just going to stick with CF, I have a handful of CF cards, but all of them are over 1gb and none of them have been usable by the LX, so I ordered a 32mb Sandisk one to play it safe, I know a 32mb shouldn't give me any problems on it. I also have CF readers on just about every PC I own, so transfers should be a breeze.

I believe the HP100LX had an IR port (not sure whether it's shielded), I use my HP-LX as a remote control and it seriously is more dependable than my actual remote I have for the TV :)
Also, don't forget to play Thexder and Bubbleghost

Me using it as a remote control: http://youtu.be/zlSQH-Wc1KU
Software demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1UtCJ84Ris
I know there's an app called REMCON or something like that for using the 100/200/700LX (all basically the same from what I understand except memory and software, and cell dock on 700) units as a remote, but I don't know how much I would use that, I have a Harmony 890 with RF base and IR emitters stuck to all my gear, so I am pretty happy with my current remote setup (except I wish their software was more customizable and sucked less, but once its configured, its OK).

I will have to check out those two games, hadn't heard of either one, but looks like they were multi-platform, might have to get them on all my classic computers ;-)

Like your vids by the way, can you actually use the cell here in the states, I thought that was only a European released phone (using different GSM frequencies than ATT/TMO used here in the states I thought). Also sorry if this was answered in the video, but I was watching it without sound, lol.

I read somewhere that the HP-95 has a much more powerful IR emitter
than its successors. Possible, I suppose...

Jack

I read somewhere that the HP-95 has a much more powerful IR emitter
than its successors. Possible, I suppose...

Jack
I have come across the same info in my searches now, the HP-95 is a different design than the 100/200/700 series, different CPU, different screen, not very PC compatible (no PC graphics modes, so only DOS text apps worked IIRC).

I got my 32mb CF card yesterday and it worked like a charm, I now have some DOS games loaded up, along with Windows 3.0 (for giggles, but surprisingly it runs faster than my PS/2-25, lol)

... different CPU

Yes, an 8088 - Primitive, huh... :)

BTW, where did you get W3.0? I'd like to give it a try

Following is a good site that shows HP-200 running Windows 3 and several other programs:

http://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/hp200lx_e.htm

I also have wanted to try win3.0, but never got may hands on the disks.

I do have Windows 1.01, 1.03, and 2.03. Just tried the 1.01 on my hp-200 and it came up but really doesn't do much except show the files in a explorer screen. I'll have to try 2.03 to see if it does anything better.

Bill

... different CPU

Yes, an 8088 - Primitive, huh... :)

BTW, where did you get W3.0? I'd like to give it a try
Win 3.0 is floating around the net on multiple sites/torrents, not sure how aggressive MS is on enforcing licensing on Win 3.x, but I still suggest you go find a license, so I am not going to provide any links.

Does anyone know of any utility to INVERSE the video, as it is Windows 3.0 is very hard to see because of the inverted colors, also many other DOS apps look wrong because of it, I am thinking like some kind of TSR program that inverts the colors.

I noticed on http://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/hp200lx_e.htm that they have the color in windows inverted some how, but they make no mention of it. So I know its got to be possible, unless hes just done a custom color scheme and inverted them by hand in the "colors" control panel, but I dont think so because you cant change the minimize and control buttons on the title bar, and hes got his inverted.

Does anyone know of any utility to INVERSE the video, as it is Windows 3.0 is very hard to see because of the inverted colors, also many other DOS apps look wrong because of it, I am thinking like some kind of TSR program that inverts the colors.

I noticed on http://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/hp200lx_e.htm that they have the color in windows inverted some how, but they make no mention of it. So I know its got to be possible, unless hes just done a custom color scheme and inverted them by hand in the "colors" control panel, but I dont think so because you cant change the minimize and control buttons on the title bar, and hes got his inverted.
Well, I figured it out, the SLEEPON utility with a "/i" switch, will invert the screen (the utilities main purpose allows for sleep & on/off button features to work while running Windows 3.0)

Yay, now I am a happy camper on this one, this will also help with the VB-DOS based gas-milage tracking application I am working on for this thing since VB forms look like poo with the default inverse screen.

The 200LX will read up to a 4 GB Sandisk SDCFB/SDCFJ card,
with the appropriate driver.

Mine does, anyway. I'm pretty sure the 100LX will too.

Jack

Back