• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Grid Compass lecture

I've got to find time to go to more of these lectures. I am a member of the CHM as well as a volunteer there (although I'm far from active these days!) I just never have the free time to head over since the kids are too young to take along!

mobilemaster said:
Terry, I ran that article on Feb. 22. -Evan

Yes, but I thought you also promised us another article, after the upcoming (Mar 15th?) debate about the origin of the laptop?

Oh yeah, FWIW, the Epson HX-20 was being marketed as a 'Hand-Held Computer' as early as 1983-or-so. It has my vote for being the first hand-held, although it has very little in common with what we consider a hand-held device today, which trace thier lineage back to the ol' 'Pocket Computers' (when did the Panasonic/Quasar HHC come out?).

--T

Last edited:
Nope, sorry, I only wrote the preview article with the Glenn Edens interview and explained that the lecture was coming up soon. Unfortunately I haven't got a Silicon Valley correspondant. If anyone reading this wants to help out, and has some writing experience, just let me know...

The Epson HX-20 debuted in 1982 -- same year as the Grid Compass and (I think) the Grundy NewBrain. For comparison, the Matsushita (Panasonic and Quasar) "Hand Held Computer" series debuted in 1981, along with the Sharp PC-1211 (a.ka. Tandy TRS-80 Pocket Computer 1). Others like the Gavilan SC and Kyocera Keytronics 85 (a.ka. Tandy Model 100) were from 1983.

I may not know much, but I know portables!

Back