• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

osborne 1

1ajs

Experienced Member
snaged a osborne 1 for 50bucks untested localy from the computer salvage place today hauled it home when i opened it up found 2 floppies one labled the other not
p/n 3d1002-00 F
osborn.jpg

got it powerd to the please insert disk and press return

i put the floppy in and close the door then hit return nothing happens

anyone have any ideas where i should start?

Hmm...could be several reasons. Could be that the disks are not even boot disks. Could be other reasons too, some of which are mentioned here. On that same page further down, there is a link on how to make a boot floppy for these CP/M machines (assuming you've got the right hardware).

Hopefully that will help.

Tez

the drive does not even try to spin up

Ah, then I would start with the power supply. Take the machine apart. Check the drive is plugged in and the cords and cables going to it haven't come loose. If there were no loose or unconnected cords then check the Power supply unit is providing the right voltage to the mainboard.

If you do a google around you'll find technical manuals on the Osborne which show you how to take it apart. it's fiddly but doable. Be careful of main voltage around the PSU when you're testing. Also, take photos of the connectors etc as you disassemble because it's easy forget what when where when it's in a dozen parts!

Does the screen image have a solid picture? Or is it wavy and jagged. Does it get far worse when you press return to boot?

Tez

does the psu make this kinda noise normaly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clRbjnZKU2g

Power supply is normally silent. About the only thing you should hear is a beep on power up and then just drives chugging along. Unless a fan has been installed. And judging by the picture, yours doesn't have a fan.

One thing Tez didn't mention is the power to the floppies is via the ribbon cable! So make sure and DON'T put the cable in upside down. Ask me how I know...

You didn't mention if you got the boot up screen or not. Yes/No?

If you're not getting anything on the video and no floppy action and a high pitched whine (so glad I've lost that part of the audio range!), your problem probably is power supply.

I do have an extra original power supply if you need it. Your profile doesn't say where you're from, but the power supply is pretty small and shouldn't cost too much to ship.

OR you could shoehorn a small more modern, more powerful power supply in the case. It's tight, but it can be done. Just be careful of the voltages going to the right place. Again, ask me how I know...

Good luck.

i get a display on the screen i just can't seem to get the drives to do anything when i hit return the floppy light comes on quik when the system beeps on power up the drives don't spin up or anything just that

When you press enter the drive should immediately try to work and if it fails to boot it will spam the screen with "BOOT ERROR".

Seeing as your system didn't even register the enter key being pressed I suspect something is up in the keyboard.
I knew someone who had the opposite problem where the system would instantly spam BOOT ERROR because the enter keyswitch was jammed down.

Edit: I didn't see the post above me :oops:
Well I don't see the drive activityl light turn on and I can't hear anything over that racket.

You say "i get a display on the screen i just can't seem to get the drives to do anything when i hit return the floppy light comes on quik when the system beeps on power up the drives don't spin up or anything just that"

Do you mean "i get a display on the screen i just can't seem to get the drives to do anything. When i hit return the floppy light comes on quik. When the system beeps on power up the drives don't spin up or anything just that."

Or do you actually mean.... "i get a display on the screen. I just can't seem to get the drives to do anything when i hit return. The floppy light comes on quik when the system beeps on power up. The drives don't spin up or anything just that'."

See how important the punctuation is when trying to convey meaning in text.

I've just watched the video and I think you mean the latter i.e nothing happens at all when you hit the keyboard. That suggests to me a keyboard problem. The machine isn't registering the Return key is being pressed.

Tez

You could always open up the keyboard and measure that the cable is in working order (Measure the leads one by one for continuity with a multimeter set to the "Beep" setting) and check the keyboard connector on the Osbourne for dirt or corrosion.

See how important the punctuation is when trying to convey meaning in text.

I couldn't agree more.
I'll skip right over some posts if I can't figure out in the first read, the information that someone is attempting to convey.
I'm not about to spend two minutes reading a post trying to decipher it, when the poster only spends 10 seconds writing it.

Osborne keyboards are a real problem - I've been through a few.

my mind mingles things and i don't see it in front of me inless someone points it out witch is incredibly frustrating for me.........

anyhow i got called back to work early for ot cause some guy walked off the job so i won't be able to have a look for least 17 days from now i've got a second osborne thats sick i could try swaping the keyboard from just need to get it from my storage locker were i keep all my spare parts and collection at

NOW I see where you said you get the display. My bad on that one.

Anyway, like the others said, sounds more like a balky keyboard.

I may have a spare keyboard if needed.

This is a coincidence. I am having the exact same problem as was indicated by 1ajs. My recently acquired Osborne 1a has a great display, but pressing return or shift " has no effect whatsoever, no screen flicker, no drive response. Visibly the keyboard looks good.

I live in Lake Havasu City, AZ, US. I would be interested in testing with another keyboard if possible. I would be willing to travel for 3 hours or so... Phoenix to Las Vegas... to try my keyboard or your Osborne 1a, or vice versa. Or.. curtis, you indicated you might have a spare?

Tezza, thanks for pointing me to this thread.

Have a great day.

-Don Mankin

I'm in Chandler, AZ and have a 1 and a 1a, but before you think of driving anywhere, I'd suggest doing what the Osborne 1 Field Service Manual states for a keyboard problem.

1 - check for a stuck alphnumeric key
2 - replace the keyboard cable (thought I had a spare but can't find it right now - may be able to make one though)
If the problem continues, they say to replace the keyboard (I have no spares), and if the problem still continues, replace the main logic board (I have a couple spares).

I'd also check the voltages from the PSU.
You should also check the RAM (which is tough to do when you can't get the disk drive to work because of the keyboard problem).

A year ago, I bought five of the full travel membranes for Osborne keyboards that someone had sitting in a warehouse for years.
I got them cheap and it's a good thing I did - only one of them worked, and that was all I needed.
The rest went into the trash about six months ago.

I had an Osborne 1 do some weird stuff once before, and it was due to a bad RAM chip.

Also try lifting up and/or pressing down on the keyboard connector where it connects to the actual Osborne - I had one that didn't work because of a bad connector, and when I lifted up on the connector everything worked as it should.

I assume your sign on message isn't flashing (if it is, the keyboard probably IS toast).

If you felt like making the drive to test the keyboard, we could do that, and also check the RAM, and test the disk drive alignment while we were at it (you'd just have to bring a dozen Bass ale with you).

PM me if you want to try a spare cable, or make the drive.

Lorne, I just might take you up on your offer if it is still good in April. The ability to get the ram and drive alignment tested is just too good to pass up. I'll be camping during that time at Lake Pleasant for two weeks during the Cactus League spring training season. Perhaps we can meet up then? In any case, I greatly appreciate your suggestions.

I'm not as good at hardware as many of you and would rather try the easy methods first. That way I may prevent adding insult to injury. :)

Thanks again.
-Don

Back