• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hp 95lx

Starshadow

Experienced Member
just took a couple snapshots of whats currently the only working XT class system i have, and its one of the smallest ( if not the smallest) XTs made. This little system has a NEC V20 cpu( 8088/8086 compatible) 512k memory split( user adjustable) between RAM and Storage ( 256k c: anyone?), two video modes( MDA and a special HP95lx graphics mode) DOS 3.22 and a custom GUI( sort of, its more like a fancy menu that you can use pcx files as a backdrop), a pcmcia slot, Lotus 1-2-3 on rom, as well as a file manager, memopad, Comunication Program, HP Calculator , Appt book, phonebook, and of course the OS. I also have a 512k memory card with a few apps i added myself. The system comes with a cable than allows you to transfer files between a big PC and the 95lx through the serial port. I don't have the transfer program, but i found Hyperterminal works well.

All this runs on 2 AAs and fits in a large pocket.

there are others in the LX series , the 100lx and 200lx, that are a bit more capable, they have CGA(mono) graphics, more memory, a 80186 cpu( yes a 186!) and Dos 5.0, as well as a better gui/fancy menu system.

Attachments

• hp95lx.JPG
    hp95lx.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1
  • hp95lxscreen.JPG
    hp95lxscreen.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
a friend of mine that runs an auction/flea market found it and figured no-one from around here would by it so he gave it to me for fixing a Dreamcast he had.

i find this amusing from HP's site

The HP Jornada series of products are designed as PC companions. To connect the Jornada to a PC, the Microsoft (R) ActiveSync software needs to be installed. Microsoft ActiveSync version 3.5 is Windows XP compliant but is not compatible with all of the following products:

HP Palmtop 95LX
HP Palmtop 100LX
HP Palmtop 200 LX
HP Palmtop 300LX
HP Palmtop 320LX
HP Omnigo 100
HP Omnigo 120

Features not supported in Windows XP
None of the products described on this page can connect to a desktop PC running in Windows XP because Microsoft ActiveSync 3.5 is not compatible with these products.

geuss they never heard of Hyperterminal:rolleyes: :lol:

Filer-> Menu-> system

there is a way to make it boot to a prompt by editing the config.sys and autoexec.bat files, but i forgot how i did it. My batteries died so i no longer have it set up like that.

btw i found a version of Emacs today for a 95lx so i'm installing it. pretty cool to have a Unix program ported to the little computer.

The most fun I ever had with my 100LX was about 10 years ago when I was selling industrial equipment... we had a obd diagnostic reader go down at one of my customers, so I took my 100LX out, plugged it into a computer he had there, loaded the software onto it, unplugged it, went out to the machine, plugged in the reader, plugged my 100LX into it, and ran the software.. it was slower than the 386 they had on the rack to do the job, but it still ran it.

I was disappointed that they took away the serial port controls from the later LX3xx series... very sad... but Microsoft saw it as a "companion" not a pc on it's own.

Some day I might get another 100/200 (95 isn't quite powerful enough for me, sorry) but I keep checking E-Bay, and they are still at the $200 range... amazing.

Back