Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Thinkpads - 755C and 755CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinkpads - 755C and 755CD

I just acquired two laptops and would like some ideas and information.

Thinkpad Type 9545-L9E 755C
    Thinkpad Type 9545-9NE 755CD

As far as I can tell they are both 486s. They both have a floppy drive, although the "CD" can take a CD in place of the FDD. After some hours on the net, I can't get specific information on these. L9E and 9NE are just not models that are quoted where Google is pointing me.

They are both running OS/2 Warp and boot up fine when I take out the batteries. Each also comes with a Token Ring pc card (anybody want those?) and are set up to run the IBM carrot server, but I don't know OS/2 so don't know about the usefulness of that.

I'll boot them up again tomorrow and check the RAM and load some diagnostic and report back. Perhaps I should keep the OS/2 on there - or does anybody have any other more NIX oriented ideas for 486 laptops?

One thing that puzzles me is the two push tabs for the left and right "mouse" buttons on the 755CD. Does anybody know why they pull out and what that does?
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:755CD

there is a link to the manual on that page
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Thanks UK. I guess I missed that link and it's a pretty complete manual too. I'd still like a list of models like L9E and 9NE if possible, and there's no information on why the tabs slide out other than to clearly label them as "click buttons".

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul View Post
        Thanks UK. I guess I missed that link and it's a pretty complete manual too. I'd still like a list of models like L9E and 9NE if possible, and there's no information on why the tabs slide out other than to clearly label them as "click buttons".
        Lots of sub models listed here but alas, I didn't see the exact ones you're looking for:
        http://www.lenovo.com/psref/psrefs_withdrawn.html

Comment

u don't want the 755cd? i've got oddles of parts i may just liberate if i took that off ur hands

the 755cd was my first laptop so lots of memories
          Pegcity bits the home of praire bits and bytes a heritage lost yet not
          Heathkit h89 h77 h11 h10 with some extra bits
          Osborn 1 x2
          pdp8a with asr33 and documentation and software
          GE workmaster with series six PLC and ibm p70 (same as a ge workmaster 2)
          Commodore PC-10 II and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by 1ajs View Post
            u don't want the 755cd? i've got oddles of parts i may just liberate if i took that off ur hands

the 755cd was my first laptop so lots of memories
            I was planning to keep both of them. Although I must say that to me the 755c is the better laptop since it has less features than the 755cd. If I change my mind I'll definitely keep you in mind though.

So, do you know why the click buttons slide out?

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul View Post
              I was planning to keep both of them. Although I must say that to me the 755c is the better laptop since it has less features than the 755cd. If I change my mind I'll definitely keep you in mind though.

So, do you know why the click buttons slide out?
              I can answer the question on those as the 755CD was one of my laptops many eons ago....

The buttons slide out as sort of a "click lock" for the right and left click. It was rare feature offered on some early 90's pointing devices, probably to make it easier for some people to drag-and-drop objects when in Windows/OS2

More stuff about the 755CD, as I had one...
              - The CD-ROM and Floppy Drive are hot swappable, it said so in the manual
              - There are Lithium ION batteries available for the 755CD, they offer about 1.5-2 Hours of battery life.
              - The 755CD can either be a 486 DX4 or a Pentium 75 based machine or so I've read
              - There's a RAM expansion slot under the CD-ROM/Floppy tray under the keyboard, sort of like PCMCIA, I think it maxes out around 96MB if I remember right
              - It uses a 32-bit MCA (but 16-bit compatible) iteration of PCMCIA for expansion cards
              - The keyboard is rather cool, the locks for it have 2 notches, one notch forward allows the screen to come up, 2 forward allows the keyboard to lift up like a car hood and allows access to the drives and battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Mike View Post
                The buttons slide out as sort of a "click lock" for the right and left click. It was rare feature offered on some early 90's pointing devices, probably to make it easier for some people to drag-and-drop objects when in Windows/OS2

More stuff about the 755CD, as I had one...
                . . .
                - The keyboard is rather cool, the locks for it have 2 notches, one notch forward allows the screen to come up, 2 forward allows the keyboard to lift up like a car hood and allows access to the drives and battery.
                Thanks for that click lock info. Funny I couldn't find anything about that in the manual or related literature on the net.

Yes, the form factor is very cool. Just lifting up the keyboard and being able to change HDD to a different OS or whatever is very functional. The machine can be completely reconfigured without touching a screw. It makes you wonder why other designers wouldn't want to sell similarly practical machines as well.

Both my t-pads are 486s so I'm not sure if they have much practical value, but it is fun to look at OS/2 since I've never really tried that before. I'm wondering if it would be easy to change the configuration from token ring to ethernet so I could connect these to something and try the Netscape browser which is already there.

PS: I now have three token ring PCMCIA cards if someone can use them.

Comment

i've got like 3 or 4 spare hdd's for mine including a homemade adapter to plug them into a normal ide jack so one can pull stuff onto a pc
                  Osborn 1 x2

Comment

Originally posted by 1ajs View Post
                    i've got like 3 or 4 spare hdd's for mine including a homemade adapter to plug them into a normal ide jack so one can pull stuff onto a pc
                    Interesting. Yes, perhaps we can trade at some point. Like I said, I won't forget your interest.

Comment

sweet then i am going to rescue my spare parts
                      Osborn 1 x2

Comment

You could try http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...iam-s-Coherent just for the hell of it.
                        Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Comment

Originally posted by Caluser2000 View Post
                          You could try http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...iam-s-Coherent just for the hell of it.
                          Thanks, that a very good idea. I actually read that thread with interest and downloaded the basic disks. (Just because I'm a hoarder.) What's the most functional *nix from the 486 period?

Off topic, but I'll put it here: The title of that thread should have been "Mark Williams' Coherent" since his name is Williams and not William. Oh well, at least the error forced me to go look it up and learn something.

Comment

Most functional *nix in the 486 era? Hell I don't know. I was floundering around in dos/win3x and Geoworks being totally unproductive . Changing the networking from token ring to ethernet in OS/2 wont be that hard with the right kit. The "Connect" version of Warp (assuming it's v3) is simpler to set up in that regard though. There's still plenty of HowTos out in wwwland to walk you through it. Any idea of the fixpack level?

Nice wee score btw.
                            Last edited by Caluser2000; June 15, 2012, 02:58 PM.
                            Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Comment

Originally posted by Caluser2000 View Post
                              Most functional *nix? Hell I don't know. I was floundering around in dos/win3x and Geoworks being totally unproductive . Changing the networking from token ring to ethernet in OS/2 wont be that hard with the right kit. There's still plenty of HowTos out in wwwland to walk you through it. The "Connect" version of Warp (assuming it's v3) is simpler to set up in that regard though. Any idea of the fixpack level?

Nice wee score btw.
                              I shouldn't have used the word "functional" as what I really meant is which one is easiest for my particular brand of dysfunction. I guess nobody can answer that. lol

Yes, on the 755CD it's version 3 and there's 40MB ram. I guess I should stick an ethernet card in it and ask Mr. Google for directions. I've never tried OS/2 before.

Comment

Working...
                              X