• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Psion MC400 laptop

g7mmj

Hi,

I have an old Psion MC400 laptop and am wondering if anybody else has one of these?

I can't get the word processor programme WORD.APP to work, all I get is "Wrong File Type - Failed to start". I'm wondering if it's a software incompatibility, I have ROM version 2.12F/Eng.

Does anybody have any ideas or info?

Thanks

Steve

I am unfamiliar with the MC400, but since no one has posted yet.

From the Internet:
1. The MC400 uses the EPOC graphical operating system and was supplied with the OPL programming language.
2. According to [here], "Wrong File Type" and "Failed to start" are error messages that OPL can produce.
3. http://www.frogplate.net/epoc/mc400.html indicates that OPL on the MC400 uses .OPL for the file extension.

So, to me, those limited facts together suggest that you are trying to get OPL to run WORD.APP, but WORD.APP is not an OPL file (or not an OPL file of the generation of the MC400).

Hopefully, someone with good MC400 knowledge will post.

Modem7 - Yes, the builtin programming language is OPL, which produces .opl source files which are then translated to .opo or .opa files (in a similar way to Java compiling .java files into .class files), whereas word.app is a .app file (similar to a .exe) and should run when double clicked - all the other .app files do.

However, your comment suggests something that hadn't occured to me - namely that the psion is (for some reason) getting the file types confused and trying to pass the .app to the OPL interpreter. I'll investigate along those lines and see if I can find anything out. Thanks for the suggestion.

"So, to me, those limited facts together suggest that you are trying to get OPL to run WORD.APP, but WORD.APP is not an OPL file (or not an OPL file of the generation of the MC400)." - I'm not... but perhaps the Psion is. :(

Steve.

Back