• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone recall the logo change on Zenith laptops?

barythrin

Veteran Member
I'm having trouble accurately remembering a new laptop I had for a while. It was an equipment checkout from my dad's work place at the time (obsolete gear nobody wanted) in the early/mid 90s I think. That's right.. not really vintage so I apologize but it's the memory that I'd like to get one again.

I'm thinking 1993 or 1994 but it could have been a bit before. What I remember most is unlike the Zenith equipment I was used to with the older Zenith logos this new laptop and the manuals with it had a green tree for the logo. It was a white and rather sqaure design instead of their older sleek/aerodynamic look. I'm trying to remember if it was a 386dx or a 486. My younger brother had the older of the two models which was more like the ones in the picture above. I honestly can't remember anymore if they were black and white or color which is driving me nuts. They of course had hard drives.. probably 120MB or something but that's not helpful. I just remember the very square white look and the tree logo which was weird to me. Obviously we just ran dos/win3.x on it but I was able to play Ultima 7 (slowly) on it and I enjoyed quite a bit of Ultima 6 on there as well.

I'm pretty sure it was a 386dx and monochrome but my memory is hazy now since I've seen those games in color and I don't remember it looking that bad.. but the color units back then had such a small display I think I would remember that (like the color compaq 486 was all plastic and a little bitty color monitor. This one I recall the monitor being regular size). If it makes a difference I think I remember the logo (tree) on the keyboard being on the left side on top of the keyboard but I could be wrong.

Sorry.. I'm normally not that poor at remembering detail but I only had the system for a few months. After that I was able to save up my allowance (and not eat lunch at school) and purchased my own first laptop from a neighbor for $100 instead of the $300 he was asking at a garage sale.

Is this the logo you're thinking of? It's a green tree(?) on a black background. I think I first saw this on a 386 laptop in the early or mid 90's.

IMG_0336.jpg

Zenith Data Systems was acquired by the French company Groupe Bull in 1989. The logo was then changed to the "green tree" that you show above.

I have a Zenith Desktop machine that was manufactured in November 1989. It still has the old logo. There is probably no fixed date when the changeover occurred as they almost certainly would have used up all the existing stock for the various models before getting new parts.

Yup, that's the logo. Interesting to know why it changed.. never had heard of that acquisition. I'm definitely thinking it was a 386dx notebook. I remember the texture on the case which was odd for the time. (sorta like dots although I've so far only really seen the similar look on the 486 version which is why I was getting confused). Let alone I haven't found a good listing of their model numbers. Anyone see one for Zenith laptops going into the 90s like a catalog or model list?

Back