• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Who was BSI (computer manufacturer) looks like they just ripped off Compaqs?

barythrin

Veteran Member
Sorta humorous but saw this auction and was wondering who this BSI company was. Obviously looks a bit like a Compaq PC III to me. Found a link on Digibarn who was under a similar suspicion that they're selling rebadged Compaq systems. Oddly enough both of these seem to be labeled as "PC III" which is sorta funny. The Digibarn system looks like a relabeled Compaq Portable (1, or maybe a II) and the ebay link despite the post saying it's a II the picture to me says III and it looks just like the Compaq Portable III lunchbox system. It's like they just etched off the word Compaq on the label.

Last edited:
BSI also made portables similar to the Dolch PAC line of portables (often used as network sniffers). While the Dolch's are highly sought after for their keyboards, the BSI Prism systems seem to sit there. If I had the money to just toss away, I'd be tempted to pick one up to take a look at the keyboard, but eh :)

Sorry, I love to miss the end quote on url references. Yeah that was the first thing I saw was the different keyboard. I clicked on it actually thinking it was an NEC knock off at first but it was the label then form factor which looked quite Compaq like. I suppose it could just be the common design though. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised though, so many Kyocera products being sold by different folks too.

These were advertised for many years in Computer Shopper magazine -- in the '90s when it used to be as thick as a telephone book! The good thing about them is that (as far as I know), they use standard "Baby AT" form factor motherboards inside, making them easy to upgrade.

These were advertised for many years in Computer Shopper magazine -- in the '90s when it used to be as thick as a telephone book! The good thing about them is that (as far as I know), they use standard "Baby AT" form factor motherboards inside, making them easy to upgrade.

I know my Dolch LPAC is baby AT. Never seen a BSI in person but it's no direct Compaq III knock off. The Compaq portable III didn't have ISA slots (ISA was via expansion "backpack") nor were it's drive bays 1/2 height like this ones (they are 1/3 height).

Back