• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Concerto Series 2840A - power up w/110VAC: slight burn smell and no startup

mfwconcerto

After 15 years, I plugged in Compaq Concerto to the 110VAC power and the laptop does not respond. I heard a faint snap sound and smelled a faint electrical burning odor. This is a machine I want to restore and hope someone can provide suggestions including how to find a good repair person.

Appreciat the support - mfwconcerto

After 15 years, I plugged in Compaq Concerto to the 110VAC power and the laptop does not respond. I heard a faint snap sound and smelled a faint electrical burning odor. This is a machine I want to restore and hope someone can provide suggestions including how to find a good repair person.

Appreciat the support - mfwconcerto

Do you think it was just the power supply brick that snapped and smelled of burning, or was it the laptop itself?

IIRC the power supply was a fairly standard "barrel plug", so finding a replacement should be fairly easy, if that's all that died on you. Lots of stores carry universal laptop power supplies, or you can probably find something online.

No - I tested the brick and its voltage at the output plug is fine. The Concerto itself is dead. I hope it may be limited to the power supply section within. I do not have any of the shop manuals.

First thing to see is if the internal AC jack fuse blew, otherwise you'll probably find your problem on the DC/DC regulator. You might be able to use your nose here.

First thing to see is if the internal AC jack fuse blew, otherwise you'll probably find your problem on the DC/DC regulator. You might be able to use your nose here.

Yes, that makes sense. I can proceed on that suggestion. This weekend will be the first opportunity I get to look to opening the case. This is a machine I want to be careful with as it contains programs I want to be able to run - early work in computer graphics. I think my judgement will steer me clear of damaging the Concerto! Thanks - I will post my findings.

BTW - I remember seeing Steve Jobs at USC in Los Angeles when he was traveling around introducing the NeXT computer. I wore the t-shirt until it was a rag. Friends in LA went to work for the then start up....was just noticing your handle.

Back