• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable Plus- HardCard issue (again)

PhilipA

Experienced Member
All,

I know we've been here before with these things, but there's nothing like flogging a dead horse, so here goes.

Having resolved some of the issues with my Compaq Portable, the hardcard-20 has started on an annoying habit. Upon power-up, it spins the drive up and then immediately begins to tremble the r/w arm with a high pitch thwthwthwthwthwt noise.

I'd had some issues with it previously but it cleared up. Took the case apart, cleaned the head location encoder thing (little striated glass that asses through a sensor to allow it to determine where the head's moving to) because the glass was filthy front and back. It spun up and started to do the same. Gave it a thump and it did a full seek and started to boot. The head parking lock isn't getting stuck.

That resolved the really slow seek times, but it's still doing the warbling tremble when first turned on. Today it refuses to stop, regardless of how many times it is agitated (I know, I know, it's not good for it. I know the mechanics behind it) but has anyone else had this trouble with these drives? My initial thought is the media's degrading but no tests I can get it to perform under DOS show that as an issue.

Thanks

--Phil

I remember that the HardCard that was used in a former employer's office would often get loud. I don't know if it is the same symptoms.

Options that might help:
1) Reseat the HardCard in its slot in case it is wobbling loose.
2) Figure out a way to support the HardCard on the opposite end of the slot from the bracket.

Hey,

I gave it a try in several sockets with the same symptom. With the lid off the drive and it warbling away, tapping the arm's counterweight got it working, so I think it's more the drive than the I/O to the PC.
The HardCard actually sits solidly in the support runner, is securely held in place (surprising!)

I'm thinking it's just slowly dying and might be coming up due... retirement.

--Phil

Resolved this issue.

Unfortunately no pics because I was trying to keep the insides of the drive as clean as possible.

The bump-stop had turned to sticky goo. The arm was getting stuck to it! Removed the remains of the bump stop, replaced it with a bit of plastic tubing from my fish tank because it was the right size.

Result? A now very happy HardCard. (Mostly, bad sectors notwithstanding).

Definitely worth taking it apart and cleaning it out :)

--Phil

Back