• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba 1960cs hard disk interface

Doug G

Veteran Member
I have an old Toshiba 1960CS laptop that's not working, but I'd really like to get the data off the hard drive if it's still there. If I extract the hard drive can I use an IDE external case to get the drive connected to another computer?

Yes, a 2.5" IDE external case should work with the hard drive from that Toshiba. Open the system up to double check but I believe the hard drive is just a fairly standard 2.5" IDE drive. It is a bit thicker than many enclosures expect so make sure the enclosure can safely run without the cover.

I have a hard disk from a different Toshiba system (T4x00) from about the same time frame and I think some of the T1960 got identical 320MB drives. I had no problems getting the drive to work with a cheap USB adapter so I expect you to have the same result.

Well, the above is predicated on the system being a 486 T1960 not some other system that Toshiba also used a 1960 model number for.

Thanks for the help, I'll extract the drive soon and give it a try.
Well, the above is predicated on the system being a 486 T1960 not some other system that Toshiba also used a 1960 model number for.
And yes, it's a 486 Toshiba 1960CS that I've owned since it was new. I think mine came with a 200mb disk not 320 if that would matter.

Back