Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Basic Questions: Toshiba T5200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Questions: Toshiba T5200

Let me start off by saying: I know nothing about vintage computers. Nothing.

Recently while cleaning out a storage room, I found a Toshiba T5200/100 in an old leather bag. I plugged it in and I booted it up and was forced to set the date and time and all that jazz. The next part is what confused me: It told me insert the system disk. Now, I have no clue where this computer came from or what a system disk is, so I've got a few questions I really hope you lot can answer:

1) Is this computer valuable at all? Should I keep it around, sell it, or is it just junk to throw away?
    2) What is a system disk and how can I get one?

I hope you guys can give me some good news because I really wanna boot this up properly and be able to tinker about with it.

Thanks!

1) It is nice 386 laptop. Since the screen still works, please don't throw it away. Depending on the rest of condition, you might get about $100 when selling it. Making sure it can boot and whether the hard drive still works should increase value.

2) You would need a bootable floppy disk. Maybe the store room has a box of floppies which includes the DOS diskette that goes with the laptop. Otherwise, you need a different computer with a floppy drive and a downloaded disk image or someone else to send you a correct floppy.

System disk simply means a disk that can start the computer. With that message, the hard drive has either been removed, cleared of data, infected by a virus or simply failed from age.

Comment

Originally posted by krebizfan View Post
      1) It is nice 386 laptop. Since the screen still works, please don't throw it away. Depending on the rest of condition, you might get about $100 when selling it. Making sure it can boot and whether the hard drive still works should increase value.

2) You would need a bootable floppy disk. Maybe the store room has a box of floppies which includes the DOS diskette that goes with the laptop. Otherwise, you need a different computer with a floppy drive and a downloaded disk image or someone else to send you a correct floppy.

System disk simply means a disk that can start the computer. With that message, the hard drive has either been removed, cleared of data, infected by a virus or simply failed from age.
      I've definitely got access to floppy disks and drives, do you know which image I'd have to download and install?

Comment

Originally posted by krebizfan View Post
        ...With that message, the hard drive has either been removed, cleared of data, infected by a virus or simply failed from age.
        Not necessarily removed, failed, or wiped; the BIOS could have lost settings for hard drive parameters so it might just not know how to "talk to" its hard drive. Not sure how BIOS is accessed on this laptop, if in doubt GSETUP works on most AT compatible systems from a DOS boot disk.

Originally posted by Bojo View Post
        I've definitely got access to floppy disks and drives, do you know which image I'd have to download and install?
        Any DOS boot disk should do the trick, being a 386 it should boot ANY version of DOS, including Windows 95/98 DOS.
        My Vintage computer/blog site
        Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Comment

Originally posted by RWallmow View Post
          Not necessarily removed, failed, or wiped; the BIOS could have lost settings for hard drive parameters so it might just not know how to "talk to" its hard drive.
          A photo of the T5200 SETUP screen is shown at: http://loreoutlet.dyndns.org/collsit...nt_1_large.jpg

At first, I thought, the screen simply reports the capacity of the drive it found, but then I found the following in an ealier T5200 related thread:
          "After a few tries, it comes up with 'ERROR INITIALIZING HARD DISK CONTROLLER' (this can be skipped by selecting "no HDD" in the BIOS) and then says 'Insert system disk in drive, Press any key when ready'."

Looking at the Toshiba web site, the early offerings were a 40 MB drive in the T5200, and a 100 MB drive in the T5200/100.
          Another thread contains, "My T5200C BIOS only has 4 settings for drive type: None, Type 6 & 7 - 40Mb and Type 9 - 100Mb."

So, yes, the OP may have set "no HDD" (no hard disk drive) in the BIOS setup, instead of 'Type 9 - 100Mb' (the OP has the T5200/100 version).

Comment

For an enthusiast who wants a 386 portable they can play with, THIS is one you want.
            First off, it's the easiest thing to service since the dawn of man, and secondly it's 1988 and you have a 386DX-20 with extended memory, VGA, ISA expansion, combination lock, and 100 megs of storage etc. Pretty sweet!

There is a built in CMOS program, that's where the OP set the time/date I'm guessing He'll be going to it every power up, if the CMOS battery is dead.
            Hopefully it's just set wrong or it's a blank hard drive.
            Last edited by SpidersWeb; December 4, 2013, 05:26 PM.
            Twitter / YouTube

Comment

Working...
            X