• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1100 FD - Floppy woes, and other thoughts.

RWallmow

Veteran Member
I just recently added a Tandy 1100 FD laptop to my collection, and the machine powers up and boots MS-DOS from ROM like a champ. However I found the floppy doesn't work, upon disassembly I find that the drive is belt driven, and this is a common problem with a stretched drive belt, I believe I have found a turntable belt with the right measurements to fit.
My question (long winded I know), does anyone know if there is a compatible floppy drive unit that is direct drive, not belt driven, because I would much rather not have to swap belts every few years on this thing since its a real pain in the arse to take it apart. I found someone listing pinouts and plans to convert a standard 1.44Mb PC floppy drive over, but it looks like more of a project than I want to take on, I have made high pin count converter cables before and I nearly went cross-eyed doing so, so why reinvent the wheel if someone here knows a direct drop in.

Also, does anyone know how hard would it be to burn a different version of DOS (with some custom files and configuration, maybe even some apps) into a ROM chip and have it work in the 1100? I don't yet own a eeprom burner, but getting one has been on my short list for quite some time, and if this would be possible it might just give me the reason to pull the trigger on one.
If custom ROMs are a possibility, does anyone know what size ROM the 1100 can see, I'm guessing the one that's in there is probably 256k or less, which if its the max doesn't leave much room for anything.

Issues aside, I am psyched that I got this thing for the price I did, I have wanted one since I was about 10 or 11 years old, the page this was on in my radio shack catalog was dog eared and well worn from dreaming of it, over 20 years later I finally have one ;-)

I don't think the computer can use a 1.44mb drive without hardware or BIOS mods. There are modified 1.44mb drives that will work as DD drives with the correct ribbon cable but they are $60 or more (niche market for those with music keyboards).

I fixed my drive and have a spare belt on the shelf, going by how much I use the thing they will last me forever.

Followup on my own thread, I got the drive belt. I can now format and read/write its own disks.
However I could NOT read those disks on my PC, I haven't yet checked if it can read disks created on another PC, ran out of time to play/test.

I am still toying with buying an EEPROM burner and trying to make a custom boot ROM for this thing, would be neat to try to get a newer version of DOS, or some other useful programs in ROM, I am pretty sure it would never see a ROM large enough to be REAL useful, but I guess I will see when I get a burner to play with, lol.

Yes I am using DD media, and that PC has read/written them in the past on its internal and USB drives, but I have a feeling it might be cheap modern floppy drives letting me down here. I have dug out my Beige G3 Powermac to run some tests, with the DOS compatibility, its actually been better than most my modern PCs at working with DD media, go figure. So I should know shortly if the Tandy is out of sync with other drives, or if I have 2 mucked up modern floppy drives.

EDIT: After testing against my Mac, the drive in the tandy does seem to be a bit out of alignment with the real world. They can read the directory information of each others, but beyond that its data errors.
Now I get to figure out if its possible to realign the drive in this Tandy, or just shell the $60 for a modern drive adapted to work in the Tandy :-/

Last edited:
Back