• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T3100 (not T3100e) disassembly

nessus

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum.

I just bought a T3100 on ebay for £5 as "not working". I got it because this was the machine that I learnt to program on (first QBASIC then Turbo Pascal) when I was a kid, so I've got a bit of an emotional attachment to it. I wasn't expecting much when I found a kettle lead and plugged it in, but surprise surprise, I flicked the switch and it booted off the hard disk into DR-DOS. It was up and running for a bout half an hour whilst I explored the tiny hard drive and then set about copying an ancient version of kermit onto it via the 720kb floppy. Then, all of a sudden, bang the lights go out, the power supply has died on me.

So - I need to get into this thing to see if I can repair it. I'm hoping it'll be a simple matter of replacing a dud capacitor or something, but I'll get to that in due course. First I need to get into the case. I've taken all the screws out of the base and now the top part is loose but still connected to the base via the display cables. I don't really want to take the display apart to unplug the cables there if I can help it (I'm worried about damaging the sticker which needs to be taken off to get to the screws) so does anyone know if there's another way of getting in there?

PS - my eventual plan is to mount a raspberry pi or something similar in the expansion slot at the back and log into it via a serial terminal. Does anyone have any info on pinouts for the expansion port? From searching through posts on this forum I've found a fair bit of info on the T3100e but not much on the T3100, which seems to have a different case design in addition to hardware differences

thanks

Nessus

Hi again,

I bit the bullet and disassemlbed the screen, no I've got the computer apart and will work on fixing the power supply over christmas. Someone just posted a link to a website which has the maintenance manual in another thread. For anyone who finds this looking for info on the T3100 (or any old toshiba machines) heres the link

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshiba/Toshiba.htm

Back