• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NEC PC-8201A on eBay

Sharkonwheels

Veteran Member

worth it? $30 +s/h. just units, + serial cable, tested to power up, and display.

So...should I get one? 10 available, at the moment....

Tony

Huh? Looks like a STEAL at $30 to me! That's the BuyitNow price, not a starting bid. I'm tempted to buy it just for the cables but likely won't as my "not so pretty" cable is working already.

The more I think about it the more I find it appealing. I wonder if there are any text-based games for that kind of computer, like dungeon crawl. Hmmm... How many lines and columns does the screen show, chuck?

Listing say "8 lines by 40 chars". There's bunches of
8201A fans on VCF. My recent PX-8 purchase is enough CP/M for me right now. I do miss my trusty LS ADM3A from time to time. I don't miss only have one floppy drive! Making copies with one floppy and 32K is no fun.

I just went and looked REAL CLOSELY to the ebay pictures of the 8201. There is a bit of false info in the listing. The SIO1 & SIO2 ports use RJ45 connectors. The cables provided for your $30 won't actually work with the 8201. LOL, who really cares for $30! Just a FYI.

I just went and looked REAL CLOSELY to the ebay pictures of the 8201. There is a bit of false info in the listing. The SIO1 & SIO2 ports use RJ45 connectors. The cables provided for your $30 won't actually work with the 8201. LOL, who really cares for $30! Just a FYI.

Actually, SIO1 is RJ45, and SIO2 is RJ11, but the 8201A also has a standard RS-232C port (not visible in the picture), which will communicate with a PC via a null modem & adaptor/gender-bender. I don't know if anyone has ever figgered-out a use for the SIO ports. I'm also wondering about the memory in 'em. Unlike the TRS-80 Model 100, the NEC version can take up to 96K, addressable as three banks of 32K.
Thirty bucks ain't a bad price for one, IMHO. It's a multiple auction too, so the seller might have enough to go around for all of us (10 available). I'm counting my pennies right now...

--T

Of course, the REALLY interesting computer from that family is that Kyotronic (Kyocera) KC-85. The Tandy Model 100, NEC PC-8201, and Olivetti M10 were merely clones with some very mild feature differentiation.

What's Erik's phone number? I'm gonna blame him and his VFC for my latest 8201A purchase. That'll work, uhhuh!

And then there were 9 ...

Yeah - no kidding.

I was SELLING stuff when I joined.
I've ended up BUYING more han I've *SOLD* Uh, HELLO!

Erik - your fault, man. All your fault.

Tony

I have Erik's home and cell numbers. Who's got $100? :D

Uh-oh, wait a sec... he knows MY number too. I better shut up now.

I would have had my "new used" 8201A yesterday but UPS had the wrong part of Nevada :confused: I am glad I parted with my $30 + s/h. In very good condition for used. Checking out if the nicads will take a charge or not now, jury still out.

Chuckle, the jury is back! I had to go find some "spare" nicads around the house and solder them together to make a new battery pack. As explained on here numerous times, not hard to do. Everything is working great now.

Back